How to calm nerves before interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to calm nerves before interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi guys and gals -- I'm wondering how I can calm my nerves before interviews. This has become a major issue for me -- I was rejected post-CB for that reason. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Anonymous User

Re: How to calm nerves before interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys and gals -- I'm wondering how I can calm my nerves before interviews. This has become a major issue for me -- I was rejected post-CB for that reason. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?
who dinged u post-cb because of it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys and gals -- I'm wondering how I can calm my nerves before interviews. This has become a major issue for me -- I was rejected post-CB for that reason. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?
It doesn't matter. I need advice.

columbiaeip2014

New

Post by columbiaeip2014 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
actually it does matter. depending on the firm i could help tell you the kind of personality they were looking for but that's a good attitude. hope you get dinged again pal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
actually it does matter. depending on the firm i could help tell you the kind of personality they were looking for but that's a good attitude. hope you get dinged again pal
Fine - Deb******.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Lol.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Well, if the OP was already dinged, finding out now what personality they wanted doesn't really help anything. Besides, nervous isn't a personality type. Also, you didn't need to be anon to be a jerk.

OP, my experience is that when I'm really nervous I tend to speak quickly and hold my breath (sounds dumb, but that thing where you keep talking till you run out of air and have to take a big obvious gasp). So it can help to really consciously take deep breaths and slow down (easier said than done, I realize). I also think TED talks are overhyped, but I really liked one about "fake it till you make it" (I think by someone last name Cuddy?) about how body language can give you confidence - I've seen other people argue that because people tend to engage in certain physical ticks when nervous (like hold their breath, tense up), avoiding the physical actions can make you feel more calm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Well, if the OP was already dinged, finding out now what personality they wanted doesn't really help anything. Besides, nervous isn't a personality type. Also, you didn't need to be anon to be a jerk.

OP, my experience is that when I'm really nervous I tend to speak quickly and hold my breath (sounds dumb, but that thing where you keep talking till you run out of air and have to take a big obvious gasp). So it can help to really consciously take deep breaths and slow down (easier said than done, I realize). I also think TED talks are overhyped, but I really liked one about "fake it till you make it" (I think by someone last name Cuddy?) about how body language can give you confidence - I've seen other people argue that because people tend to engage in certain physical ticks when nervous (like hold their breath, tense up), avoiding the physical actions can make you feel more calm.
Thank you. This shouldn't affect my employment -- I've done 2/12 CBs, but I really want to diagnose this going forward. Any other tips also welcome.

--OP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm

just got a job but got dinged from my first cb for the same reason.

the key is to remember that lawyers aren't allowed to lose their cool in uncomfortable situations. if you can't even face lawyers who want to like you, how are you going to face a difficult opposing attorney? how are you going to inspire a client to pick your firm over a competing firm if you can't even charm your future boss/coworkers? are you straight through by any chance? if so, realize that this is a real job, and clients are real businesses with real assets on the line. i'm not saying this to be mean, just that you should approach the cb knowing that your choices are either 1) get over it, or 2) stop trying to be a lawyer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just got a job but got dinged from my first cb for the same reason.

the key is to remember that lawyers aren't allowed to lose their cool in uncomfortable situations. if you can't even face lawyers who want to like you, how are you going to face a difficult opposing attorney? how are you going to inspire a client to pick your firm over a competing firm if you can't even charm your future boss/coworkers? are you straight through by any chance? if so, realize that this is a real job, and clients are real businesses with real assets on the line. i'm not saying this to be mean, just that you should approach the cb knowing that your choices are either 1) get over it, or 2) stop trying to be a lawyer
It's not that I couldn't speak coherently. I could. I just displayed signs of nervousness. I'm straight through, but I've interned in investment banking, so I have some interview experience. It's just that IBD interviews' substance is important vs. law firm interviews, not so much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just got a job but got dinged from my first cb for the same reason.

It's not that I couldn't speak coherently. I could. I just displayed signs of nervousness. I'm straight through, but I've interned in investment banking, so I have some interview experience. It's just that IBD interviews' substance is important vs. law firm interviews, not so much.
sorry, i meant to say charm your boss/coworkers. i didn't see that you had 12 callbacks; i thought you might have had only 1-2 and so may not have been coherent. (i was not for my first few interviews)

i'm also straight through, and i've learned that interning counts for work experience about as much as a man's personality does to a gold digger

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:18 pm

come to interview 30 min early. tell receptionist your here early and tell her not to call anyone just yet and u just need to use restroom. take a dump. come out feeling relieved and relaxed. its almost animalistic, you take a dump in someone else's territory and you feel like you own the place. you are much more calm. i did this and this worked wonders for me.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:19 pm

You could try positive affirmations in the mirror before you interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

sorry, i meant to say charm your boss/coworkers. i didn't see that you had 12 callbacks; i thought you might have had only 1-2 and so may not have been coherent. (i was not for my first few interviews)

i'm also straight through, and i've learned that interning counts for work experience about as much as a man's personality does to a gold digger
wow this analogy is one of the best things i've seen on tls

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:24 pm

smoke up (this is not legal advice)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:33 pm

kolopin bro or xanax

if you cant get that, two shots (unless you are white girl or asian male, then one shot)
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Masturbate.

Seriously.
“A study in Scotland a few years ago proved that people who had orgasms before important speaking engagements felt much calmer and more self-possessed when it came to deliver their speeches,” said Dr. Brame, “Researchers concluded that the natural chemistry of sex relieved speakers’ anxiety and boosted their morale.”
I don't have the source for the study, but yeah.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:45 pm

First Offense wrote:Masturbate.

Seriously.
“A study in Scotland a few years ago proved that people who had orgasms before important speaking engagements felt much calmer and more self-possessed when it came to deliver their speeches,” said Dr. Brame, “Researchers concluded that the natural chemistry of sex relieved speakers’ anxiety and boosted their morale.”
I'd just feel weird if I had to see a bunch of people in a professional setting after touching myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Seriously.

+1
(assuming you're a guy, I have no idea if this works for females). I've gone 2/2 on CBs so far, and I've masturbated immediately before both. There really is no better (legal) stress/anxiety reliever

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously.

+1
(assuming you're a guy, I have no idea if this works for females). I've gone 2/2 on CBs so far, and I've masturbated immediately before both. There really is no better (legal) stress/anxiety reliever
Good point, I'm not sure that females are capable of masturbating or having orgasms.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously.

+1
Good point, I'm not sure that females are capable of masturbating or having orgasms.
That's what I tell myself when I find myself incapable of pleasing a lover.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 pm

From now on, I'm just going to assume that all male interviewees have just jerked it.

eleemosynary2

New

Post by eleemosynary2 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 pm

This is probably easier said than done, but I relax myself going into CBs by thinking of them as an opportunity to have a few short conversations with people who are generally smart and interesting. Once you get into that rhythm of showing enthusiasm for hearing about what they do, they can get on a roll talking about themselves (as all people want to do) and the conversation feels less like an inquisition. Substantively, I'm sure you know the things you want to say about your interests and background, so I do think it's largely about framing the experience for yourself.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 pm

El Pollito wrote:From now on, I'm just going to assume that all male interviewees have just jerked it.
Safe bet. In fact, you should probably assume that for nearly all interactions with males.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:08 pm

El Pollito wrote:From now on, I'm just going to assume that all male interviewees have just jerked it.
nobody washes their hands after either

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”