Mass mailing from non T-14 schools

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FSK

Platinum

Re: Mass mailing from non T-14 schools

Postby FSK » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:46 am

I don't think mass mailing is going to get you employed in biglaw when you couldn't have otherwise with your grades/school. It will, however, put your application in front of many more eyes, and thus will eliminate some of the inherent randomness of the hiring process.

The firms that have been interested in me would have been good fits for GPA at OCI.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:48 am

lxhyss wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Around median at a T30. 1 Screener->CB in New York V100, one direct to callback with a medium sized firm in a secondary. I've have one callback and am waiting, haven't had the direct to callback yet. Sent out around 150 mass mails.

Congratulations! I am at the median of a lower T-14. I mass-mailed around 200 firms and got nothing. Your success, together with other successfully mass-mailing campaigns on TLS, makes me feel like there must be something wrong with my cover letter. I would really appreciate it if you could share with me your cover letter drafting technique. If you don't feel like posting please PM me. Thanks!

Poster here. I don't think my cover letter drafting technique is anything too special. I have a somewhat strange background that shows overcoming obstacles, which is what I lead with. Then I just have the typical work experience and what I've done in law school paragraphs and suggest why those things make me awesome. I don't really tailor my letter to the firms too much, but do have a few [paste firm name here] areas sprinkled throughout the letter to make it sound more personalized.

Mostly, I just feel lucky that anything paid off, but I guess I won't feel too lucky until an offer materializes.

lxhyss

New

Postby lxhyss » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lxhyss wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Around median at a T30. 1 Screener->CB in New York V100, one direct to callback with a medium sized firm in a secondary. I've have one callback and am waiting, haven't had the direct to callback yet. Sent out around 150 mass mails.

Congratulations! I am at the median of a lower T-14. I mass-mailed around 200 firms and got nothing. Your success, together with other successfully mass-mailing campaigns on TLS, makes me feel like there must be something wrong with my cover letter. I would really appreciate it if you could share with me your cover letter drafting technique. If you don't feel like posting please PM me. Thanks!

Poster here. I don't think my cover letter drafting technique is anything too special. I have a somewhat strange background that shows overcoming obstacles, which is what I lead with. Then I just have the typical work experience and what I've done in law school paragraphs and suggest why those things make me awesome. I don't really tailor my letter to the firms too much, but do have a few [paste firm name here] areas sprinkled throughout the letter to make it sound more personalized.

Mostly, I just feel lucky that anything paid off, but I guess I won't feel too lucky until an offer materializes.

Thanks! Really appreciate that!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Just outside of top 1/3 w/ law review at a t40. Only got 5 screeners at OCI. Mass mailed every firm on NALP in three target markets, barring firms that were already coming to my school's OCI.

Results: 1 rejection from OCI, 2 massmailed firms emailed back saying they weren't hiring for this summer, and radio silence for a week on the rest.

Here's the kicker. I recently applied to a job posting through my CSO, and when uploading my cover letter I found a careless typo that was in every cover letter used for OCI and mass mailing (I left an -ed on a word were it no longer belonged after editing the rest of the sentence).

Is there something more proactive I can do beyond hoping some firms will overlook/miss the typo?

hoos89

Gold

Postby hoos89 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Not really. Your best bet is that they don't notice (which a lot of them probably did); proactively calling attention to it is a bad idea.

Return to “Legal Employment?