How to approach 3L OCI as a Strike Out Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to approach 3L OCI as a Strike Out

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 am

Posting for a friend (he doesn't have TLS)

How does someone who struck out 2L approach 3L OCI?

Obviously chances are small, but right now I'm seeing two options:
1) Acknowledge the strike out and explain why you're more confident/better/more prepared now (using examples like moot court, clinics, etc).
2) Act like you wanted to do public interest but changed your mind.

Would love to hear from some interviewers at firms who do 3L OCI.

Anonymous User

Re: How to approach 3L OCI as a Strike Out

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 am

In order to construct the best narrative, what did friend do this summer? Work for a governmental agency or some sort?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:In order to construct the best narrative, what did friend do this summer? Work for a governmental agency or some sort?
Nonprofit doing litigation work. Wants to do lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In order to construct the best narrative, what did friend do this summer? Work for a governmental agency or some sort?

Having just gone through the experience of 3L OCI (but with a 2L SA), I strongly suggest they cast themselves as a 3L who has realized their interest in private practice litigation through some experience over the last year. They thought they wanted to do PI work but X experience this year taught them otherwise and sparked an interest in firm work. This reason should be pretty good, make sure to practice explaining it and make it sound compelling. I wouldn't just own up to getting shut out of OCI last year, I think that's a big mistake.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Having just gone through the experience of 3L OCI (but with a 2L SA), I strongly suggest they cast themselves as a 3L who has realized their interest in private practice litigation through some experience over the last year. They thought they wanted to do PI work but X experience this year taught them otherwise and sparked an interest in firm work. This reason should be pretty good, make sure to practice explaining it and make it sound compelling. I wouldn't just own up to getting shut out of OCI last year, I think that's a big mistake.
I told a firm I struck and got a callback. Ymmv

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Told a firm I struck out and got an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Any other experiences?

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Your friend is so lazy that he can't take 2 minutes to make an account and post this himself. It's not in the cards for him

poster is a 0L who has no business posting in the legal employment forum

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:06 pm

FuturePanhandler wrote:Your friend is so lazy that he can't take 2 minutes to make an account and post this himself. It's not in the cards for him
I made this because he doesn't have TLS and I wanted to help him out. He didn't ask me to but I told him I would give it a shot. Please try to be constructive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 pm

int'l student here. struck out in 2L but stayed in NY over summer. Played out a family emergency back home (that made me have to pull out of recruiting last season) at interviews. No one would ever dare question that. Got multiple CBs and one offer (V10) so far.

Would say that knowing what you're talking about/having a real sense of direction in terms of practice area (I was looking for Corp/Tax/Regulatory) is what helped me the most.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:int'l student here. struck out in 2L but stayed in NY over summer. Played out a family emergency back home (that made me have to pull out of recruiting last season) at interviews. No one would ever dare question that. Got multiple CBs and one offer (V10) so far.

Would say that knowing what you're talking about/having a real sense of direction in terms of practice area (I was looking for Corp/Tax/Regulatory) is what helped me the most.
When did you start mass mailing??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:int'l student here. struck out in 2L but stayed in NY over summer. Played out a family emergency back home (that made me have to pull out of recruiting last season) at interviews. No one would ever dare question that. Got multiple CBs and one offer (V10) so far.

The CBs (and offer) I got were from OCI and resume collects from the school. I mass mailed the V100 in late July but no response from them, except a few dings here and there.

I should mention that striking out in 2L was pretty anomalous given my stats (CCN, top 15%) and was probably based entirely on how badly I interviewed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The CBs (and offer) I got were from OCI and resume collects from the school. I mass mailed the V100 in late July but no response from them, except a few dings here and there.

I should mention that striking out in 2L was pretty anomalous given my stats (CCN, top 15%) and was probably based entirely on how badly I interviewed.
grats and thanks for the datapoint

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”