Screener question about political leanings Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Screener question about political leanings

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:37 pm

randomstudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had an interviewer ask me directly about my political leanings in a screener. While I think this is an incredibly inappropriate question and I don't really understand the relevance, how does one go about strategically answering this?
Was this is an interview for a government job, BigLaw, or something else?
BigLaw

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Just say you hate both parties equally, they can't ding you for that

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:58 pm

An interviewer told a friend of mine, unsolicited, that they left their former firm because it was "a haven for jews." This was in a callback. Thats pretty solid racism.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Obviously not appropriate for them to ask this type of question unless you raised it in your resume. If you still want to work for that firm, I would just ignore it. If you get rejected or you no longer want to work there, report to OCS.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:An interviewer told a friend of mine, unsolicited, that they left their former firm because it was "a haven for jews." This was in a callback. Thats pretty solid racism.
It also severely limits their potential places of employment in their chosen profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:10 pm

OP here. I don't want to go into specifics for purposes of anonymity but the question was not directed at anything on my resume. If anything it came from the political leanings of my undergrad (pretty liberal),
With the exception of the academies and certain religious colleges, most colleges are 'pretty liberal.' Assuming that you do 'lean', why wouldn't you wear your "leanings" proudly? And if you don't lean, it's an easy response.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Big Dog wrote:
OP here. I don't want to go into specifics for purposes of anonymity but the question was not directed at anything on my resume. If anything it came from the political leanings of my undergrad (pretty liberal),
With the exception of the academies and certain religious colleges, most colleges are 'pretty liberal.' Assuming that you do 'lean', why wouldn't you wear your "leanings" proudly? And if you don't lean, it's an easy response.
I'd say there's a pretty big difference between Berkley and Texas A&M. Not surprising that a biglaw interviewer might tease out why someone would go to a "hippie" college.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”