SEC Chair's Attorney Honors Program Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEC Chair's Attorney Honors Program

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea how many people were hired? Division breakdown?
Not sure on the breakdown but it is my understanding that there are two batches of hirees -- (1) current 3Ls who would be graduating this cycle or have a clerkship, pmf, or legal fellowship lined up, and (2) recent graduates who are current judicial law clerks, pmfs, or legal fellows. As someone mentioned on this thread, it apepars that the initial target was 10 hirees total for all the divisions, with enforcement getting few of those spots. But I am not sure if that target is just for each batch or for both batches total. With the current chair's recent plan to pursue smaller violations more aggressively and curbing the no admit policy that usually leads to settlement of many cases, I am guessing the number of new hirees will probably be more than 10 (unless they decide to hire more experienced attorneys).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:17 am

Does anyone have detailed information about their job? Beyond just what division you will be in

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:22 am

Has anyone else been contacted regarding their public trust background investigation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else been contacted regarding their public trust background investigation?
Nope. How long did it take you to be contacted? I've heard that OPM has a huge backlog right now so it might take a long time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have detailed information about their job? Beyond just what division you will be in
I've gotten the final offer letter with salary and start date. But I'm post clerkship so I'm starting much sooner than people who are coming out of law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have detailed information about their job? Beyond just what division you will be in
I've gotten the final offer letter with salary and start date. But I'm post clerkship so I'm starting much sooner than people who are coming out of law school.
what division if you don't mind? and when is the "usual" time to start?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't want to say the division since I think I'm the only person they hired, but not ENF, CF, or TM. I think the usual time to start is late August/early September, but they're very flexible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't want to say the division since I think I'm the only person they hired, but not ENF, CF, or TM. I think the usual time to start is late August/early September, but they're very flexible.
Thanks. Were you able to negotiate salary?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks. Were you able to negotiate salary?
No, it was assigned based on experience. Or at least I didn't try, maybe stupidly. But it was definitely a fair salary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you dont mind responding, was it above or below 100k?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you dont mind responding, was it above or below 100k?
It was a few hundred below 100k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else been contacted regarding their public trust background investigation?
Nope. How long did it take you to be contacted? I've heard that OPM has a huge backlog right now so it might take a long time.
Does anyone know the general timeframe?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:13 am

Anyone have any details about the student loan repayment program?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any details about the student loan repayment program?
After working at the SEC for one year and receiving a good annual performance review, you are eligible for the program. You get 10,000 a year pre-tax toward your loans, which you can use with PSLFP/IBR/PAYE. You are obligated to stay at SEC for 3 years after receiving your first payment, or you have to pay back the loan assistance. You can do the program twice so that a maximum of $60,000 dollars is distributed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Did you have post law school experience other than a year clerking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Did you have post law school experience other than a year clerking?
Yep. Not a lot but it was relevant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:37 pm

Anyone have an idea on SEC's student loan repayment program. Their offer didn't really say too much about it other than its available. Do we have to wait a year to start receiving the assistance or does it start immediately? (note, I am not speaking of the loan forgiveness after 10 years of public service program)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 am

This person answered a few posts before you:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any details about the student loan repayment program?
After working at the SEC for one year and receiving a good annual performance review, you are eligible for the program. You get 10,000 a year pre-tax toward your loans, which you can use with PSLFP/IBR/PAYE. You are obligated to stay at SEC for 3 years after receiving your first payment, or you have to pay back the loan assistance. You can do the program twice so that a maximum of $60,000 dollars is distributed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This person answered a few posts before you:
Anonymous User wrote:
haha I just saw it as I was scrolling down. Long week sigh thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:48 am

So, from what I saw on here, it appears 95k seems to be the entry level salary (at least for those with a year of PMF/clerkship experience). Anyone know how much each pay check generally amounts to after tax and other deductions (basic single status non-itemized deduction)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, from what I saw on here, it appears 95k seems to be the entry level salary (at least for those with a year of PMF/clerkship experience). Anyone know how much each pay check generally amounts to after tax and other deductions (basic single status non-itemized deduction)?
It's around 2400-2450 per pay period without health insurance or TSP (401k) deductions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, from what I saw on here, it appears 95k seems to be the entry level salary (at least for those with a year of PMF/clerkship experience). Anyone know how much each pay check generally amounts to after tax and other deductions (basic single status non-itemized deduction)?
It's around 2400-2450 per pay period without health insurance or TSP (401k) deductions.
Thank you. Geeze thats much lower than I anticipated!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 17, 2015 2:47 am

Has anyone started yet? if so, did the student loan repayment already kicked in for you or do you have to wait a year before the agency starts paying the loans for you? I am hearing conflicting information and I was under the impression you get the repayment as soon as you start (note, I am not talking about the general 10 years public service loan forgiveness repayment)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 17, 2015 5:46 am

I have. You can do the Student Loan Program right away if your supervisor is ok with it (in the past you had to wait a year, but they changed it in January). Also, they've changed the program so you get payments every month, which works great with PSLFP. Love it so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 20, 2015 12:47 am

Thanks for responding. If you don't mind answering additional questions: Do you know how much the public transportation subsidy is? what are you thoughts on the program so far (commute, hours, assignments, opportunities, etc). Thanks in advance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”