Philly Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JamesD

New

Philly

Post by JamesD » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:13 pm

I received an offer from a local Philly firm to start in early October but then they pushed it back to mid-October and today they moved it to the second week in November. How unusual is this?

I ask because most everyone I know is starting in September (a few in early October). If you are starting in Philly, when do you report?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Re: Philly

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:23 pm

JamesD wrote:I received an offer from a local Philly firm to start in early October but then they pushed it back to mid-October and today they moved it to the second week in November. How unusual is this?

I ask because most everyone I know is starting in September (a few in early October). If you are starting in Philly, when do you report?

Unusual but not sure if it's something to worry about too much.

JamesD

New

Post by JamesD » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:01 am

With tuition payments stating soon, I was hoping to build up a bit of a cushion. I know that in other cities some firms hold off until Dec and/or Jan. However most of my Philly friends are starting in a just a week or two. I was wondering if what I hear is antidotal or if Philly firms (in general) start later than Sept.

Edit: Seriously, no one is starting work in Philly?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:41 am

Big firm?

JamesD

New

Post by JamesD » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:28 am

Can be, ala Pepper size. For purposes of start dates, any will suffice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:48 am

I am practicing in the area. Yes, that's unusual, and as I am sure you know, was a bad sign during the crash. Is it your whole class, or just your group? Is your class too small to tell? It might just be coming down to the scheduling preferences of one dude. Either way, if I were in your shoes, I would try to get plugged in with the bar association stuff, make some friends, have some lunches, ask questions about other people's practices, and get ready to apply in case it becomes necessary (but don't actually do it yet).

JamesD

New

Post by JamesD » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:05 pm

Thank you for your reply.

When I recently talked with my firm contacts, they said they were busier than ever. Their web site confirms that business is good. What I was thinking is that the firm is waiting for our bar results, which somewhat makes sense, but if that is the case why are my friends starting in the next week or two? They’re also waiting for their bar results.

I accepted their offer over some bigger firms thinking that my chance for advancement might be better. Nevertheless this start delay is somewhat bothersome (and costly too).

I still am interested to hear start dates from those starting work in Philly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”