"Class Rank Unknown" on Resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Class Rank Unknown" on Resume

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm applying for a job that has a class rank cutoff, though I have it on good authority it isn't rock solid.

My school doesn't rank. It does provide annual academic cutoffs, but I don't fall into any of them.

Usually I wouldn't even mention rank on my resume but I worry that failing to mention it will automatically disqualify me. So what I want to do is put Class Rank: Unknown on my resume under my GPA.

Is this a bad move? Any suggestions (other than not applying for this job)? Obviously I have no intention of lying. Just not sure how to convey this information effectively without disqualifying myself.

filibuster

Bronze

Re: "Class Rank Unknown" on Resume

Postby filibuster » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 pm

"Unknown" or "N/A" is probably TCR. Are you at a T14?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 pm

I think N/A looks a little better than Unknown - it seems to make clearer that the school doesn't give you a rank (effectively), rather than that you just didn't find out what it was or something. However (and I'm sorry to bring this up), if they give you cutoffs but you don't fall into any of them, aren't you by default below the lowest? That is, if they give you top 10%, 20%, and 50%, and you're not above any of those, you're still below, so you could do something like:

GPA: 3.0 (top 50% = 3.1)

Or whatever works.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by annual academic cutoffs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think N/A looks a little better than Unknown - it seems to make clearer that the school doesn't give you a rank (effectively), rather than that you just didn't find out what it was or something. However (and I'm sorry to bring this up), if they give you cutoffs but you don't fall into any of them, aren't you by default below the lowest? That is, if they give you top 10%, 20%, and 50%, and you're not above any of those, you're still below, so you could do something like:

GPA: 3.0 (top 50% = 3.1)

Or whatever works.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by annual academic cutoffs.

My school only gives top 10, 15 and 33%. My gpa is just below the 33% cutoff.

I suppose I could do as you suggested for the top 33%.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the cutoffs are only section wide. Not sure that's relevant.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:21 pm

filibuster wrote:"Unknown" or "N/A" is probably TCR. Are you at a T14?

yep

Return to “Legal Employment�