"Why DC?" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Why DC?"

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Any input on this? I have a handful of OCI interviews with DC offices of V20 firms. I have never been to DC, but had some friends give me some info on popular spots, restaurants, etc. that I can drop in my interview (if I try to pretend like I've been there). Basically, how can I sell firms I want to be in DC other than "I have zero desire to live in NYC and you're the next up biggest/most prestigious legal market."

baal hadad

Gold

Re: "Why DC?"

Post by baal hadad » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any input on this? I have a handful of OCI interviews with DC offices of V20 firms. I have never been to DC, but had some friends give me some info on popular spots, restaurants, etc. that I can drop in my interview (if I try to pretend like I've been there). Basically, how can I sell firms I want to be in DC other than "I have zero desire to live in NYC and you're the next up biggest/most prestigious legal market."
Uh dude you better talk about the work that happens in DC And what the firm does in DC and make a strong case for why you want to do that work

Name dropping restaurants isn't gonna cut it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:23 pm

DC is one of the easiest cities to answer that question for. The federal government is there and you can say you are interested in working on regulatory and administrative law issues (in any field other than finance) and DC is legitimately the best legal market for that. Just don't say you are interested in the corporate practice.

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC is one of the easiest cities to answer that question for. The federal government is there and you can say you are interested in working on regulatory and administrative law issues (in any field other than finance) and DC is legitimately the best legal market for that. Just don't say you are interested in the corporate practice.
What is wrong with mentioning corporate practice in D.C.? As a local and a person infatuated with business associations, I am curious.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:27 pm

the work unique to dc plus the work that the firm specializes in

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:29 pm

vandalvideo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DC is one of the easiest cities to answer that question for. The federal government is there and you can say you are interested in working on regulatory and administrative law issues (in any field other than finance) and DC is legitimately the best legal market for that. Just don't say you are interested in the corporate practice.
What is wrong with mentioning corporate practice in D.C.? As a local and a person infatuated with business associations, I am curious.
I mean if the firm truly specializes in it that's fine but what you can't say is "I want to be in DC bc it is an incredible place for m&a"

It's just not a place were super sexy corporate shit goes down

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:40 pm

soj wrote:the work unique to dc plus the work that the firm specializes in
Any input on the work unique to DC?

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Depends on the type of law you wanna do. We have a lot of special Children in Need of Services cases where the kids are from overseas. Sparks a bunch of interesting federal issues. I guess if you like family law? Other than that, federal contracts are a thing, as are taxes. KPMG is lurking around here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:48 pm

vandalvideo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Depends on the type of law you wanna do. We have a lot of special Children in Need of Services cases where the kids are from overseas. Sparks a bunch of interesting federal issues. I guess if you like family law? Other than that, federal contracts are a thing, as are taxes. KPMG is lurking around here.
OP here, I'm leaning heavily lit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
regulatory work. if you can, express interest in a specific industry (eg healthcare) or practice area (eg antitrust). other government-related work (eg tax). high-level litigation. you'll need to do your own research so you can then explain why these things appeal to you.

be careful of saying things like appellate litigation, sports law, entertainment law, or fields with sexy political implications. not that you can't pull it off, but so many 1ls want to do that shit that you'll have to work harder to overcome a presumption that you don't know wtf you're talking about. plus, recruiters vastly overstate the size of these sexy practices because they know that's what law students are attracted to, but interviewers obviously know better.

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vandalvideo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here, I'm leaning heavily lit.
There are a bunch of boutique firms that handle the outside litigation for the major tax firms. So if you want to get a good head start, I would highly recommend taking a bunch of tax classes if you can handle it. You will do a lot of creditor's rights stuff and contracts litigation.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Figure out what kind of lit the firm does. The industry is moving away from general lit and into small specialities.

Antitrust, FCPA, Employment, White Collar, Securities, IP, Intl Arb., etc. etc.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Don't say u wanna live IN DC. Anyone who knows DC knows that all cool people live in nova.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

filibuster

Bronze

Post by filibuster » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:06 pm

Dude, you have no idea why you want to be in DC. I think you should go with the whole "I hear it has some good restaurants" thing. At least you will be honest and won't need to lie that you are interested in healthcare regulatory law....

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Take a trip to DC. After you fall in love, check out the firms' websites and find a practice area. Done and done.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote: OP here, I'm leaning heavily lit.
Honestly, saying you want to do litigation is enough. DC is a litigation-focused market. Pitching regulatory sounds ridiculous unless you have relevant experience. V20 is a weird metric because a lot of the top New York firms have tiny DC offices with small summer classes and narrow practice areas. If by "V20" you mean top DC firm, then pitching just lit and saying you don't want to live in NYC is probably enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Saying you want to litigation is not enough. I've had 3 sets of callbacks in DC V10s and the first question of all 12 interviews, 1 of the lunches, and 2 of the end of day meetings with recruiting was "Why DC?" "Litigation" isn't going to quite cut it.

While my SO and I choosing that market made my sell easier, it felt like they were looking for something decently far beyond "I want litigation and this office does litigation. Also, DC is cool."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Saying you want to litigation is not enough. I've had 3 sets of callbacks in DC V10s and the first question of all 12 interviews, 1 of the lunches, and 2 of the end of day meetings with recruiting was "Why DC?" "Litigation" isn't going to quite cut it.

While my SO and I choosing that market made my sell easier, it felt like they were looking for something decently far beyond "I want litigation and this office does litigation. Also, DC is cool."
How about, I'm from the dmv area and so is my SO who works in the dmv area and my parents live there

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Saying you want to litigation is not enough. I've had 3 sets of callbacks in DC V10s and the first question of all 12 interviews, 1 of the lunches, and 2 of the end of day meetings with recruiting was "Why DC?" "Litigation" isn't going to quite cut it.

If you don't have personal reasons or a connection to the city, what other answers are there? Litigation plus an aversion to NYC is fine. The firms know people want to be in DC and the entire city is transplants. Your grades are going to be much more of a determining factor than your fake sounding answer about your passion for FCPA compliance.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 pm

duh, obviously don't make it sound fake. practice, talk to attorneys, and make it sound genuine. you don't need expertise to sound like you have genuine interest. just do a little bit of research and be humble about your limited knowledge. hell, after a while, your interest might actually become real.

and there's a way to express strong interest in a niche area without awkwardly pigeonholing yourself. you can say you're broadly interested in litigation (because X) but have a specific interest in enforcement work (because Y).

not that all of this research is strictly necessary if you have good grades, but every little bit helps.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:56 pm

It's DC, not podunk. There's arguably no better place to be a lawyer in the world.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”