Lets Talk Boston Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Lets Talk Boston

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:54 pm

Mintz also no offered 1/4 of its summer class two years back. anyone know what was up with that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Anon where are you getting your Riemer stats? I have a friend there who says first year comp is now $145,000

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:54 pm

How competitive does one have to be for Ropes/Wilmer/Goodwin, coming from a T-14? I know they like to hire from the local schools a lot

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twocabins3112

New

Post by twocabins3112 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How competitive does one have to be for Ropes/Wilmer/Goodwin, coming from a T-14? I know they like to hire from the local schools a lot
really depends on where you go. at HLS, wilmer/ropes/goodwin give callbacks to half the people they interview, and grant offers to about 1/3 of people interviewed during callbacks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:35 pm

twocabins3112 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How competitive does one have to be for Ropes/Wilmer/Goodwin, coming from a T-14? I know they like to hire from the local schools a lot
really depends on where you go. at HLS, wilmer/ropes/goodwin give callbacks to half the people they interview, and grant offers to about 1/3 of people interviewed during callbacks.
Unclear how much other schools can read into those numbers though. many HLSers bid Boston bc why not, and Boston firms don't seem to like playing second fiddle to NYC and other major markets. I'd have to imagine someone with a real interest (as opposed to an interest invented for EIP) in the city has better chances at the big 3 than those numbers reflect

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:50 pm

anyone else hear anything yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Boston doesn't seem to be big on the pre-OCI CBs, at least judging from the Pre-OCI thread. Has anyone heard differently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:04 pm

If I'm slightly below median at a t1 ranked around the 30s with strong undergrad ties to boston, are there certain firms I should target that aren't the big 3 or is boston just a hopeless cause with HLS/BU/BC being there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I'm slightly below median at a t1 ranked around the 30s with strong undergrad ties to boston, are there certain firms I should target that aren't the big 3 or is boston just a hopeless cause with HLS/BU/BC being there?
my impression is that boston firms care a lot more about ties than about grades, particularly some of the mid sized firms. i'd definitely still apply. That being said, i've applied to approx 10 boston firms so far via mass mailing (from top 10 school) and have only heard back from 2. and i've been told that the 20% yield is a success.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 pm

^ which firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ which firms?
one is big 3 and one is much smaller but still well-regarded in boston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon where are you getting your Riemer stats? I have a friend there who says first year comp is now $145,000
That could be true--but it must have changed within the past year. They were telling students (and myself) $120k during last years OCI. They brought it up because SA salary is lower too... was an awkward conversation point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 pm

Did Boston-only EIP last year, ended up at a Boston firm. Would love to hear what other Boston people think, but I think there's been a bit of a shift the last couple years with national firms moving in. WilmerHale and Ropes are still the big names here of course, but Skadden, Latham, Proskauer, and Cooley have all expanded their Boston offices like crazy the last couple years and the big-name companies here have been using them more. Goodwin I think is a little below WH and Ropes in terms of prestige and maybe even below some of the above national firms, while Bingham's imploded of course.

Next tier I think are foley hoag and Choate of the full service firms; Goulston & Storrs if you're into Real Estate; Fish & Richardson if you're into IP; maybe Mintz, maybe Nutter. Mintz is super picky about law school grads though (I think they mostly take laterals, but you should check your school's stats with them just in case), so they were the only semi-big Boston law firm I didn't interview with.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I don't think anybody really knows anything; these are just based off of my conversations with other law students/attorneys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Also at a Boston firm, interviewed with most firms in Boston. Still not convinced there really is a hierarchical difference outside of broad strokes. All the top firms get interesting work and pay well- biggest thing to look at would be fit and offer percentage IMO. Certain firms are better in some areas than others, so you'd go Fish if you wanted IP or Goulston if you wanted RE. Not sure I agree with the above poster about national firms expanding in Boston- at least I haven't seen any evidence of this.

Definitely quoting his bottom paragraph- not sure anyone really knows anythin outside of the basic stuff. I would recommend going on fit and the unique aspects of the firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also at a Boston firm, interviewed with most firms in Boston. Still not convinced there really is a hierarchical difference outside of broad strokes. All the top firms get interesting work and pay well- biggest thing to look at would be fit and offer percentage IMO. Certain firms are better in some areas than others, so you'd go Fish if you wanted IP or Goulston if you wanted RE. Not sure I agree with the above poster about national firms expanding in Boston- at least I haven't seen any evidence of this.

Definitely quoting his bottom paragraph- not sure anyone really knows anythin outside of the basic stuff. I would recommend going on fit and the unique aspects of the firms.
Anonymous User wrote:Did Boston-only EIP last year, ended up at a Boston firm. Would love to hear what other Boston people think, but I think there's been a bit of a shift the last couple years with national firms moving in. WilmerHale and Ropes are still the big names here of course, but Skadden, Latham, Proskauer, and Cooley have all expanded their Boston offices like crazy the last couple years and the big-name companies here have been using them more. Goodwin I think is a little below WH and Ropes in terms of prestige and maybe even below some of the above national firms, while Bingham's imploded of course.

Next tier I think are Foley Hoag and Choate of the full service firms; Goulston & Storrs if you're into Real Estate; Fish & Richardson if you're into IP; maybe Mintz, maybe Nutter. Mintz is super picky about law school grads though (I think they mostly take laterals, but you should check your school's stats with them just in case), so they were the only semi-big Boston law firm I didn't interview with.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I don't think anybody really knows anything; these are just based off of my conversations with other law students/attorneys.

Really appreciate your perspectives. This process is so stressful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:53 pm

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:19 pm

Does any one have any insight on Nixon Peabody's Boston office? I have a phone screener tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:26 pm

Not really, but did you apply to them through their website/how long ago?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Just broad stuff about Nixon- small summer class and everyone there seemed really nice. I know someone who summered there this year and they had a good time. I think it was 100% offers. High level work, but I'm not sure pay is market. I believe they are pretty flexible wrt GPA cutoffs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Anyone has insight into goodwins corporate practice? I know the recent layoffs only hit the lit department but i have heard corp is sort of also slow...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know how BLG works ? not sure why they informed me late in the game that I have an interview lined up for Holland knight, while most people received their email on the 24th, i received one on the 28th. does that mean H&K one was by lottery and i dont stand a chance as a matter of cruel fact.

btw. speaking of H&K weird syndication work, i actually have related experience on my resume. does that mean they actually paid attention to stuff other than the gpa column. sweeeet
I have the same question. I'm wondering if firms are still reviewing our documents for BLG or if it's this late in the game, that we just happen to get a screener through "lottery" even though we don't bid.

I also thought lottery for BLG though was synonomous for signing up for open slots on the day of...

Any insight would be great. Being preselected definitely helps boost your confidence a bit as opposed to just getting a screener through lottery, so knowing would be nice. Especially if firms have cut offs and you're not really near them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone has insight into goodwins corporate practice? I know the recent layoffs only hit the lit department but i have heard corp is sort of also slow...
GP's corporate in Boston is expanding. They are actively interviewing 3Ls at Boston schools right now because of the need for first-years. Usually a good sign.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone has insight into goodwins corporate practice? I know the recent layoffs only hit the lit department but i have heard corp is sort of also slow...
GP's corporate in Boston is expanding. They are actively interviewing 3Ls at Boston schools right now because of the need for first-years. Usually a good sign.
Any specifics into what practice groups are expanding for corporate or is it like all across the board?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:37 pm

t14 30~50%, secondary journal, no Boston ties. Any chance at Goodwin, Proskauer, Sullivan & Worcester, Morgan Lewis, foley hoag, Choate?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”