Advice for Screener Interview for SV office, but I want SF.. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice for Screener Interview for SV office, but I want SF..

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Hello fellow TLSers,

I received a pre-select for the SV office of the firm I'd like to SA for in their SF office. Each office has the same recruiting manager (that is in charge of SA programs) and same hiring partner. I emailed the recruiting manager ahead of time - no response. I made it clear in the cover letter how I'd like to work at SF not SV because of XX practice group.

Did the recruiter read the CL or my email? It's pre-select .. lower T2 school. Top 15%.

Even if the recruiter is aware of the preference, the interviewing partner may not be (who is from SV office). I'm going to this interview, no matter what (I'm going to take my chances).

Thoughts and advice?

ETA: Only these two offices (SF/SV) have the same recruiting manager/hiring partner.

TooOld4This

Silver

Re: Advice for Screener Interview for SV office, but I want SF..

Post by TooOld4This » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello fellow TLSers,

I received a pre-select for the SV office of the firm I'd like to SA for in their SF office. Each office has the same recruiting manager (that is in charge of SA programs) and same hiring partner. I emailed the recruiting manager ahead of time - no response. I made it clear in the cover letter how I'd like to work at SF not SV because of XX practice group.

Did the recruiter read the CL or my email? It's pre-select .. lower T2 school. Top 15%.

Even if the recruiter is aware of the preference, the interviewing partner may not be (who is from SV office). I'm going to this interview, no matter what (I'm going to take my chances).

Thoughts and advice?
Getting a job should be number one priority. Do not mention SF again until after you have an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello fellow TLSers,

Thoughts and advice?
Getting a job should be number one priority. Do not mention SF again until after you have an offer.

OP here. If the interviewer asks and clearly knows about my SF preference - Still a good idea to talk up SF office or try to stay neutral between the two? The SV office is IP heavy, my background is not - but it matches up well with a practice group in their SF office.

:oops:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:32 pm

OP here - update

My interview went really well, we hit it off. He asked my prefence for location, I said both but made slight pref to SF office.

Received callback to SF office two days ago. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”