Who is happier: Litigators or Transactional attorneys? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Who is happier/more fulfilled?

Litigators
48%
Transactional Attorneys
52%

Total votes: 60

SDviaVA

Bronze

Who is happier: Litigators or Transactional attorneys?

Post by SDviaVA » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Can anyone with any knowledge of litigation and/or transactional work give some incite into their general degree of satisfaction with their work?

I am coming to the end of my judicial clerkship and contemplating my next step. I'm desperately seeking a job before my clerkship ends in September, and have some interviews lined up, but that is a discussion for another post.

I have enjoyed clerking for a judge and being around litigation during my clerkship, even though it does get hectic at times. However, I also feel clerking for a judge is a pretty cushy job compared to an entry level litigator because all the attorneys kiss your ass only due to the fact that they want something from the judge. Also, it seems the judge's schedule is pretty light compared to the schedule of a junior associate litigator at a law firm.

On the other hand, I was a law clerk for a year at a firm that did transactional work in international trade law. While I found the subject matter interesting, I found the day to day work to be incredibly boring, but that may just have been because it was at a small firm and there was not much interaction that went on in the office.

I've heard that litigators make more money? Is this true, and if so it is worth it? Do litigators feel their work is doing some good in the world or are you just "dividing up the pie"? Do most transactional lawyers find the work to be as tedious and monotonous as I did? Does the erratic schedule of litigators get old?

5ky

Diamond

Re: Who is happier: Litigators or Transactional attorneys?

Post by 5ky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 pm

The fact that you think litigators have a much more erratic schedule than transactional lawyers indicates you do not have a correct impression things. Also the fact that they are paid the same

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:24 pm

5ky wrote:The fact that you think litigators have a much more erratic schedule than transactional lawyers indicates you do not have a correct impression things. Also the fact that they are paid the same

Please, enlighten me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:17 pm

So litigators are going to take it?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 pm

This is kind of a pointless thread. What matters is what you enjoy more (or hate less). Just because someone else prefers one of them does't mean that you're going to feel the same way. Based on your post it seems like you would likely prefer litigation so I'd suggest you do that. Though at this point, considering your clerkship ends in 1-2 months I would be focused more on getting any job at all.

It is true that litigators can theoretically make more $ than transactional attorneys (see plaintiffs' attorneys) though I'd hazard that the average transactional attorney makes more (because transactional law tends to more heavily situated in large law firms whereas there are a lot of attorneys doing small litigation matters) but neither of those statistics is going to be particularly meaningful to you personally so it should't make a difference in your job search.

Transactional lawyers in large law firms tend to have more hectic schedules that their litigation counterparts because large law firm transactional practice often involves a lot of fire drills.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 pm

Transactional guys try to write shit contemplating what would happen if real lawyers had to use it.

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:33 am

Wow, pretty even split. I guess maybe it just comes down to what you like personally.

ikethegremlin

Bronze

Post by ikethegremlin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:40 am

SDviaVA wrote:Wow, pretty even split. I guess maybe it just comes down to what you like personally.
Probably shouldn't be an immense surprise that the right job for you is the one that you like more personally...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am

Litigation easily. However, except for the top tier lit practices (your irells, Quinn's, gdcs, w+c), firms have been stealthing lit associates left and right, whereas transactional is on fire. Also there's a better chance of leaving the law entirely as transactional. Overall, glad I'm transactional but in short term lit people are by far happier.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 am

What does stealthing mean? And what does on fire mean? Dying out?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:10 am

Lit is generally more conducive to having a predictable life, the lack of which IME is the single biggest cause of associate dissatisfaction. That said, lit associates sometimes get shipped to BFE on no notice to supervise document collection or whatever. It's all a mixed bag.

The surest way to be really unhappy is choosing a practice area that you find dull.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:26 pm

IMO, the single biggest determinant of job satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) is who you work with. This seems to be true across the board.

I do litigation (but in a gov't setting), and I love it. From what my friends at firms say, litigators seem happier. But that's just because they seem to be the more nerdy/intellectual type who enjoy what law practice entails. My friend recently went from clerking to big law transactional and loathes it because it's so mindnumbing. He's been there 3 months and is already planning on getting out.

So, I'll echo what everyone else says: it depends on you and your personality type.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:26 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:What does stealthing mean? And what does on fire mean? Dying out?
stealthing=bad
on fire=good

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 pm

which came first, the chicken or the egg?

have you gone through recruiting yet? if not, avoid this question

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:which came first, the chicken or the egg?

have you gone through recruiting yet? if not, avoid this question

By recruiting, i guess you mean OCI? Yes, I have gone through OCI. Well, the joke of nothingness that my school calls OCI. That turned up nothing.

I'm asking because I am a judicial law clerk, which seems to be a requirement for a lot of entry level litigation jobs. But l worked for a year during law school in a transnational role. I'm trying to figure out where to focus my job search.

SDviaVA

Bronze

Post by SDviaVA » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Transactional Attorneys take the lead!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”