What is Redeeming about V20 (aside from Wachtell bonus)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
soj

Platinum

Re: What is Redeeming about V20 (aside from Wachtell bonus)?

Postby soj » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:09 am

i'm fucking tired. be stupid on your own time. don't waste my time being stupid on tls, and definitely don't abuse anon while doing it.

soj

Platinum

Postby soj » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:15 am

jbagelboy wrote:wall of text

i assume this boils down to "no but actually the work that i did as an sa was real work." lol

soj

Platinum

Postby soj » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Learn to read.

no u
Forum rules

Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

idiot.

pro tip: if you have one post, what you have to say isn't worth protecting with anon.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:just having finished my first summer in lit at a V30-something firm (in a secondary market, where this firm is far more prominent than its NYC office), so outside the V20 but not far outside.

It looks like I'll probably be at a V10 (or V15, whatever) next summer so I can compare the experience.

smdh

SUCK IT GOODWIN PROCTOR, I'M PAUL WEISS OR BUST.

Seriously though, teh dumbest part of his thing was thinking a Summer Associate is getting real work.

1L Summer Associate

rachelzane

New

Postby rachelzane » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:38 am

A senior associate in the Dallas market said local firms trying to entice law students with NYC lock-step salaries often have worse hours because the firms bill clients at lower rates, thus attorneys have to bill more hours to justify their salaries.

I thought, this makes logical sense. Done. But given that billable hours is only marginally aligned to actual billings, is this reality? I've kind of written off a whole class of firms that seem to do a middle market, volume business while paying $160K through the highly scientific analysis of guessing what is bs on their website and making broad generalizations. Any counter examples?

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:30 am

jbagelboy wrote:just having finished my first summer in lit at a V30-something firm (in a secondary market, where this firm is far more prominent than its NYC office), so outside the V20 but not far outside.

whats the point of anonymizing your humblebrag if you are going to be that specific? You have advertised before that you are 1L SAing in Orange County, and only one firm there fits that profile

DELG

Gold

Postby DELG » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:12 am

Rahviveh wrote:

whats the point of anonymizing your humblebrag if you are going to be that specific? You have advertised before that you are 1L SAing in Orange County, and only one firm there fits that profile

The constant tension between needing TLS to validate how prestigious you are and trying not to get outted.

Return to “Legal Employment�