Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
XxSpyKEx

Gold
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It doesn't intuitively make sense that old lit associates are washed up. I sort of see why corporate bros missed their exit in house. But lit bros are going to another firm. I don't see why firms wouldn't want someone who actually knows what they are doing.

But a lot of shit doesn't make sense about law.

However, I've never heard anyone reliable say that lit seniors are permafucked. Just XO bros. I'm not going to necessarily believe some idiot trolling litigators on Xo.


If you managed a 25-50 attorney boutique firm, would you hire someone who got shitcanned/forced to leave biglaw because they couldn't generate enough business to make partner and also weren't good enough at their job to stay as "of counsel"? I sure as shit wouldn't :lol: It's just doesn't make sense when you have a million other applications from good biglaw lit associates who want to willingly leave to work for your firm. And commercial litigation to shitlaw doesn't translate as well. I mean if you run a personal injury firm, why would you think that someone with 10 years of commercial litigation would be a good fit for your bog bite cases? I'd be heavily concerned about that person wasting my time and then leaving in a few months for something better. I don't think biglaw litigation associates with 10 years of permafucked, but it's not nearly as nice of a place to be as a corporate associate with 10 years of experience in that the exit options are much more limited (depending on your practice area in biglaw lit, of course).

NorCalLaw

Bronze
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby NorCalLaw » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It doesn't intuitively make sense that old lit associates are washed up. I sort of see why corporate bros missed their exit in house. But lit bros are going to another firm. I don't see why firms wouldn't want someone who actually knows what they are doing.

But a lot of shit doesn't make sense about law.

However, I've never heard anyone reliable say that lit seniors are permafucked. Just XO bros. I'm not going to necessarily believe some idiot trolling litigators on Xo.


If you managed a 25-50 attorney boutique firm, would you hire someone who got shitcanned/forced to leave biglaw because they couldn't generate enough business to make partner and also weren't good enough at their job to stay as "of counsel"? I sure as shit wouldn't :lol: It's just doesn't make sense when you have a million other applications from good biglaw lit associates who want to willingly leave to work for your firm. And commercial litigation to shitlaw doesn't translate as well. I mean if you run a personal injury firm, why would you think that someone with 10 years of commercial litigation would be a good fit for your bog bite cases? I'd be heavily concerned about that person wasting my time and then leaving in a few months for something better. I don't think biglaw litigation associates with 10 years of permafucked, but it's not nearly as nice of a place to be as a corporate associate with 10 years of experience in that the exit options are much more limited (depending on your practice area in biglaw lit, of course).


Sounds better than a hapless 3L.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:44 pm

.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014

Diamond
Posts: 18204
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:10 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It doesn't intuitively make sense that old lit associates are washed up. I sort of see why corporate bros missed their exit in house. But lit bros are going to another firm. I don't see why firms wouldn't want someone who actually knows what they are doing.

But a lot of shit doesn't make sense about law.

However, I've never heard anyone reliable say that lit seniors are permafucked. Just XO bros. I'm not going to necessarily believe some idiot trolling litigators on Xo.


If you managed a 25-50 attorney boutique firm, would you hire someone who got shitcanned/forced to leave biglaw because they couldn't generate enough business to make partner and also weren't good enough at their job to stay as "of counsel"? I sure as shit wouldn't :lol: It's just doesn't make sense when you have a million other applications from good biglaw lit associates who want to willingly leave to work for your firm. And commercial litigation to shitlaw doesn't translate as well. I mean if you run a personal injury firm, why would you think that someone with 10 years of commercial litigation would be a good fit for your bog bite cases? I'd be heavily concerned about that person wasting my time and then leaving in a few months for something better. I don't think biglaw litigation associates with 10 years of permafucked, but it's not nearly as nice of a place to be as a corporate associate with 10 years of experience in that the exit options are much more limited (depending on your practice area in biglaw lit, of course).


I understand why shitlaw wouldn't want a commercial litigator, but there are small firms that too commercial lit.

User avatar
gk101

Gold
Posts: 3855
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby gk101 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It doesn't intuitively make sense that old lit associates are washed up. I sort of see why corporate bros missed their exit in house. But lit bros are going to another firm. I don't see why firms wouldn't want someone who actually knows what they are doing.

But a lot of shit doesn't make sense about law.

However, I've never heard anyone reliable say that lit seniors are permafucked. Just XO bros. I'm not going to necessarily believe some idiot trolling litigators on Xo.


If you managed a 25-50 attorney boutique firm, would you hire someone who got shitcanned/forced to leave biglaw because they couldn't generate enough business to make partner and also weren't good enough at their job to stay as "of counsel"? I sure as shit wouldn't :lol: It's just doesn't make sense when you have a million other applications from good biglaw lit associates who want to willingly leave to work for your firm. And commercial litigation to shitlaw doesn't translate as well. I mean if you run a personal injury firm, why would you think that someone with 10 years of commercial litigation would be a good fit for your bog bite cases? I'd be heavily concerned about that person wasting my time and then leaving in a few months for something better. I don't think biglaw litigation associates with 10 years of permafucked, but it's not nearly as nice of a place to be as a corporate associate with 10 years of experience in that the exit options are much more limited (depending on your practice area in biglaw lit, of course).


I understand why shitlaw wouldn't want a commercial litigator, but there are small firms that too commercial lit.

nah bro. Litigation in TLS world is only limited to BIGLAW or doing Personal injury/tort cases at shitlaw. Literally no middle ground for people doing commercial litigation etc.

Edited for smallfirmassociate
Last edited by gk101 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby smallfirmassociate » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:44 pm

gk101 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It doesn't intuitively make sense that old lit associates are washed up. I sort of see why corporate bros missed their exit in house. But lit bros are going to another firm. I don't see why firms wouldn't want someone who actually knows what they are doing.

But a lot of shit doesn't make sense about law.

However, I've never heard anyone reliable say that lit seniors are permafucked. Just XO bros. I'm not going to necessarily believe some idiot trolling litigators on Xo.


If you managed a 25-50 attorney boutique firm, would you hire someone who got shitcanned/forced to leave biglaw because they couldn't generate enough business to make partner and also weren't good enough at their job to stay as "of counsel"? I sure as shit wouldn't :lol: It's just doesn't make sense when you have a million other applications from good biglaw lit associates who want to willingly leave to work for your firm. And commercial litigation to shitlaw doesn't translate as well. I mean if you run a personal injury firm, why would you think that someone with 10 years of commercial litigation would be a good fit for your bog bite cases? I'd be heavily concerned about that person wasting my time and then leaving in a few months for something better. I don't think biglaw litigation associates with 10 years of permafucked, but it's not nearly as nice of a place to be as a corporate associate with 10 years of experience in that the exit options are much more limited (depending on your practice area in biglaw lit, of course).


I understand why shitlaw wouldn't want a commercial litigator, but there are small firms that too commercial lit.

nah bro. Litigation is only limited to BIGLAW or doing Personal injury/tort cases at shitlaw. Literally no middle ground for people doing commercial litigation etc.


You're wrong. Not subjectively, but objectively. I work for a firm that is about as far away from BIGLAW as you can get, and my firm routinely handles commercial and municipal litigation for clients whose pockets are more than deep enough to pay the bills. I'm not handling multi-billion dollar suits, but I'm not putzing around with five-figure suits either, and the stake of the litigation is irrelevant to me: I have an hourly rate, they pay it, the end. For example, I am working on two cases for bank clients that each have me so far into the UCC that I might as well be back in some insufferable law school seminar. I'm handling a suit for a solvent food distributor third-party plaintiff for ~$75 mil. Sure, it's not Fortune 100 stuff, but it pays the bills nicely and I go home at 5 p.m.

Now if you were being sarcastic, I would apologize except that you weren't very good at it.

09042014

Diamond
Posts: 18204
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:51 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:
gk101 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:If you managed a 25-50 attorney boutique firm, would you hire someone who got shitcanned/forced to leave biglaw because they couldn't generate enough business to make partner and also weren't good enough at their job to stay as "of counsel"? I sure as shit wouldn't :lol: It's just doesn't make sense when you have a million other applications from good biglaw lit associates who want to willingly leave to work for your firm. And commercial litigation to shitlaw doesn't translate as well. I mean if you run a personal injury firm, why would you think that someone with 10 years of commercial litigation would be a good fit for your bog bite cases? I'd be heavily concerned about that person wasting my time and then leaving in a few months for something better. I don't think biglaw litigation associates with 10 years of permafucked, but it's not nearly as nice of a place to be as a corporate associate with 10 years of experience in that the exit options are much more limited (depending on your practice area in biglaw lit, of course).


I understand why shitlaw wouldn't want a commercial litigator, but there are small firms that too commercial lit.

nah bro. Litigation is only limited to BIGLAW or doing Personal injury/tort cases at shitlaw. Literally no middle ground for people doing commercial litigation etc.


You're wrong. Not subjectively, but objectively. I work for a firm that is about as far away from BIGLAW as you can get, and my firm routinely handles commercial and municipal litigation for clients whose pockets are more than deep enough to pay the bills. I'm not handling multi-billion dollar suits, but I'm not putzing around with five-figure suits either, and the stake of the litigation is irrelevant to me: I have an hourly rate, they pay it, the end. For example, I am working on two cases for bank clients that each have me so far into the UCC that I might as well be back in some insufferable law school seminar. I'm handling a suit for a solvent food distributor third-party plaintiff for ~$75 mil. Sure, it's not Fortune 100 stuff, but it pays the bills nicely and I go home at 5 p.m.

Now if you were being sarcastic, I would apologize except that you weren't very good at it.


clearly sarcasm lil bro

smallfirmassociate

Bronze
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby smallfirmassociate » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:clearly sarcasm lil bro


I haven't been called lil' since fifty pounds ago, so ... thanks.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx

Gold
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Long-term Career Outlook - Having "Too Much" Experience?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It doesn't intuitively make sense that old lit associates are washed up. I sort of see why corporate bros missed their exit in house. But lit bros are going to another firm. I don't see why firms wouldn't want someone who actually knows what they are doing.

But a lot of shit doesn't make sense about law.

However, I've never heard anyone reliable say that lit seniors are permafucked. Just XO bros. I'm not going to necessarily believe some idiot trolling litigators on Xo.


If you managed a 25-50 attorney boutique firm, would you hire someone who got shitcanned/forced to leave biglaw because they couldn't generate enough business to make partner and also weren't good enough at their job to stay as "of counsel"? I sure as shit wouldn't :lol: It's just doesn't make sense when you have a million other applications from good biglaw lit associates who want to willingly leave to work for your firm. And commercial litigation to shitlaw doesn't translate as well. I mean if you run a personal injury firm, why would you think that someone with 10 years of commercial litigation would be a good fit for your bog bite cases? I'd be heavily concerned about that person wasting my time and then leaving in a few months for something better. I don't think biglaw litigation associates with 10 years of permafucked, but it's not nearly as nice of a place to be as a corporate associate with 10 years of experience in that the exit options are much more limited (depending on your practice area in biglaw lit, of course).


I understand why shitlaw wouldn't want a commercial litigator, but there are small firms that too commercial lit.


They're pretty much all litigation boutiques where a partner or partners from a biglaw firm left. Odds aren't great there if you got shit canned/forced to leave be used you couldn't generate the business to make partner and also weren't good enough at you're job to make "of counsel." Litigation is a difficult market for biglaw rejects right now because there are a lot of good biglaw lit associates looking to lateral, so why would a boutique hire a reject that got canned/forced to leave?



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.