is there anything rewarding about insurance defense law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

is there anything rewarding about insurance defense law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:18 pm

I have an opportunity to work at a firm during the school year that does mostly insurance defense. I know nothing about insurance defense, and I get the general sense that it isn't exactly glorified. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who either has experiencing working in this area or any general positive aspects about it

Diamond

Re: is there anything rewarding about insurance defense law

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm

When you get to beat down those fat cats who are trying to get free rehab after a car accident.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Nope.

And while hierarchies in our profession tend to be overstated, my sense is that insurance defense is kind of the "B-Team" of practicing law. Hourly rates are lower, pay is lower, and the work isn't rewarding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:35 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:Nope.

And while hierarchies in our profession tend to be overstated, my sense is that insurance defense is kind of the "B-Team" of practicing law. Hourly rates are lower, pay is lower, and the work isn't rewarding.
I would disagree, to an extent. It depends on what type of ID work you end up doing. Rates do tend to be lower across the board then say, commercial lit. But I do professional liability defense, which is almost a niche ID practice that is a lot more complex then the auto accident/PI-defense garbage. The work is difficult, and when I work on cases involving legal mal, the underlying cases are always different so it keeps things very interesting. I'm constantly exposed to different areas of law and my salary isn't big law but it's solid for a major market.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I would disagree, to an extent. It depends on what type of ID work you end up doing. Rates do tend to be lower across the board then say, commercial lit. But I do professional liability defense, which is almost a niche ID practice that is a lot more complex then the auto accident/PI-defense garbage. The work is difficult, and when I work on cases involving legal mal, the underlying cases are always different so it keeps things very interesting. I'm constantly exposed to different areas of law and my salary isn't big law but it's solid for a major market.
Is that the entirety of your practice? I have a friend who does professional liability defense, but it's only about 1/3rd of his practice, with the other 2/3 being pretty shitty. Your gig sounds fine, but it's probably the exception to the rule in the ID field.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:00 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is that the entirety of your practice? I have a friend who does professional liability defense, but it's only about 1/3rd of his practice, with the other 2/3 being pretty shitty. Your gig sounds fine, but it's probably the exception to the rule in the ID field.
My firm does some commercial lit, but most of it is prof liability. You're right though, I've got a solid gig but it's not the ID norm. I would hate doing the shitty, low-end ID work.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:04 pm

If you're interested in an ambulance chaser career after law school, not a bad place to start. Depends on your law school, grades, background, etc. This could be the best thing going for you. If it's not, and you aren't interested in this or PI, then pass on the opportunity.

lookingin

Bronze

Post by lookingin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:48 pm

I've worked for an automobile insurance defense firm, and I didn't find the work to be boring.
Last edited by lookingin on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Not really. But it could get you the experience to get your foot into a good plaintiff's firm. I was actually shocked by just how much money the partners at some of PI firms make, even ones that solely handle auto negligence cases (e.g. big rig driver kills person, limo driver kills person, etc). The partners at some of those firms are easily making more than twice what a lot of biglaw partners at v100 firms are making. I don't think I'd want to do it, but $5M+ /year ain't bad for chasing ambulances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:58 am

It is soul crushing work. If it is lower end ID law it is truly terrible. Most new associates at ID firms start out with the lower value stuff, they might help with professional mal cases, but they will be doing mostly PI defense. I cannot emphasis enough how much it blows. I have been trying to escape ever since I accepted the position. It is better than unemployment, but still terrible. I personally think that working at a small general practice firm would be much more beneficial than working at an ID firm. At least at a gen practice firm you will be exposed to litigation and transactional work. It likely won't be all that complex, but you can spin your experience more than you can at a firm that is strictly ID. Most low end ID cases could be handled by paralegals from start to finish. Liability is generally not in dispute. It really blows. Just my two cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”