3L OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So it's been 3 weeks since my CB in a secondary market, and I've heard absolutely nothing since. I thought I would've heard after the 10/1 deadline, but nada. Anyone else in the same boat? Is this normal? Am I on some hold/wait list?
Any secondary market is probably going to take longer generally, and they might wait to see how many 2Ls they end up with. This may just be because I didn't expressly raise it, but I didn't have any firms express concern about the October 1 deadline or really even act like they were aware of it. Paul Weiss for example sent out a round of CBs on September 29th or something. So I wouldn't necessarily assume you would have heard especially if you didn't tell them about the deadline. In case you're on the wait list I think it might be worth it to send a follow up email at 4 weeks.
Law firms don't really give a shit about nalp, when it comes to tooth & nail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:13 am

Hey guys, can I know what is 1L, 2L and 3L please?

Is it something like 1st class Honours, 2nd class and 3rd class Honours?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, can I know what is 1L, 2L and 3L please?

No 0Ls in this forum.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, can I know what is 1L, 2L and 3L please?

No 0Ls in this forum.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Friend got a WSGR offer (PA)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:30 pm

OMM NY offer this morning.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is going to be me next year. Any wisdom that can be left will be greatly appreciated!
Anonymous User wrote: 5. During your 2L start to get a story painted, whether it is M&A or Cap Markets or PE, do something, take business school classes, get an internship, take only those classes. The better story you can paint, the better you will do.
And get your grades as high as possible. Take advantage of the reduced competition.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:20 pm

Just one question: are most of you guys switching markets? Or just trying to move to a better firm? Ie. Re-interviewing with firms that rejected you during 2l oci? Curious if anyone got "so its you again, why should we hire you now?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just one question: are most of you guys switching markets? Or just trying to move to a better firm? Ie. Re-interviewing with firms that rejected you during 2l oci? Curious if anyone got "so its you again, why should we hire you now?"
Switched markets, practice groups, and technically traded up by a solid jump (though that's not really why I was interviewing or what I was aiming for -- it just worked out that way because of who was interviewing).

The places I interviewed with didn't reject me before, but I guess an analogous question would be about if/why I was trying to trade up and no one really asked (I think the market, practice group issues made it clear enough why I was going through the process). Not sure if that's helpful at all :\

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just one question: are most of you guys switching markets? Or just trying to move to a better firm? Ie. Re-interviewing with firms that rejected you during 2l oci? Curious if anyone got "so its you again, why should we hire you now?"
Switching Markets (while moving up), not intentionally reinterviewing (or not) with firms that rejected me during 2L OCI, just mass mailed anyone and everyone in my desired market/practice area.

They also won't remember you. We are not snowflakes.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:21 pm

The only guy I re-interviewed with definitely remembered me, but I was rejected at the screener stage both times so it didn't help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:26 pm

I actually interviewed to trade up in same market and to switch markets. My primary goal was to switch markets but I figured, what the hell why not apply to some "better" firms in the same market. I got one offer out of each market (out of two callbacks in each market).

The firm I ended up taking was in a different market and not only rejected me during 2L but a) brought it up several times and b) had the guy that rejected me 2L interview me. It was slightly awkward for a moment but he was pretty cordial about it, saying stuff like "It's good to see you, again." I think it takes an interviewer with some aplomb to handle such a situation though.

I actually brought it up with a couple firms in the process when it seemed natural, one seemed kinda awkward about, the other didn't seem to think it was a big deal that they had rejected me before at all.

My personal take on the process is that being candid is the best way to go--including discussing 2L recruiting if necessary. I don't think that was the best approach for some firms but it seemed to be with others. That's just how this stuff goes. I don't think there's a right answer to how to handle certain situations. It's all about exercising judgment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:30 pm

How does 3L OCI generally work? Do schools typically have a separate OCI section on symplicity for 3Ls, or do you have to go through the same list of firms 2Ls view and see which are looking for 3Ls?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does 3L OCI generally work? Do schools typically have a separate OCI section on symplicity for 3Ls, or do you have to go through the same list of firms 2Ls view and see which are looking for 3Ls?
Not at my school. OCI includes 3Ls and 2Ls. But, again only speaking to my school, relatively very few firms solicit bids from 3Ls at all. As far as symplicity, 3Ls will only see postings for firms interviewing 3Ls. The fact of the matter is, lots, maybe a majority of firms, at one point or another, will interview 3Ls, depending on needs. 3L OCI in here is often used as shorthand for 3L recruiting. You can't rely on OCI or symplicity. You have to direct mail all the firms you are interested in and follow up with them.

ETA: I think I misunderstood part of your question, at my school only those firms soliciting 3L bids at OCI would even appear on the bidding system.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How does 3L OCI generally work? Do schools typically have a separate OCI section on symplicity for 3Ls, or do you have to go through the same list of firms 2Ls view and see which are looking for 3Ls?
Not at my school. OCI includes 3Ls and 2Ls. But, again only speaking to my school, relatively very few firms solicit bids from 3Ls at all. As far as symplicity, 3Ls will only see postings for firms interviewing 3Ls. The fact of the matter is, lots, maybe a majority of firms, at one point or another, will interview 3Ls, depending on needs. 3L OCI in here is often used as shorthand for 3L recruiting. You can't rely on OCI or symplicity. You have to direct mail all the firms you are interested in and follow up with them.

ETA: I think I misunderstood part of your question, at my school only those firms soliciting 3L bids at OCI would even appear on the bidding system.
Ahhh, thanks that makes sense. Do SA's typically start mailing other firms during their SA's? Or after they got an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ahhh, thanks that makes sense. Do SA's typically start mailing other firms during their SA's? Or after they got an offer?
Different views on this--I don't think there's harm to applying in late-July. In fact, I think that's the best. IMO worst case scenario you just update the firms once you receive an offer or just keep it hush if you don't. I interviewed before receiving an offer and got CBs out of it. But I was at a historically 100% offer firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:26 am

Any word on other big law firms hiring?

When is the best time to apply now or in the spring of next year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on other big law firms hiring?

When is the best time to apply now or in the spring of next year?
All the time. Now is good because you might still pick up a firm that didn't get its expected yield from its offered summers (though it might be getting late for that).

I heard recently that the Houston office of Andrews Kurth offered 25 and only got 17. I don't know what they expected to get, as this was a ramp up in their summer class size (really they've had about 30-32 summers consistently, but changed their mix from 20 2Ls and 10 1Ls to 27 2Ls and 4 1Ls), but the number I heard from last year was they offered 17 and got 15. I have not heard if they've been openly recruiting, but offer them here as an example of why firms might be looking anytime from now (really from last month) through bar results.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:13 pm

Would it be better to have two continuous years of small botique experience (Think like feburary of 1L to 3L OCI), and pitch myself for a related group at large firms, or should I try and jump to a midlaw firm for my second summer?

I really like my current job, but don't want to limit/pigeon hole myself.

michael2015

New

Post by michael2015 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be better to have two continuous years of small botique experience (Think like feburary of 1L to 3L OCI), and pitch myself for a related group at large firms, or should I try and jump to a midlaw firm for my second summer?

I really like my current job, but don't want to limit/pigeon hole myself.

I don't think it matters too much (boutique vs. mid law) in their eyes. Also, I wouldn't be concerned about pigeon-holeing yourself. A lot of 3L OCI hiring is not dictated by your wants but their needs, so you'll get stuck in whatever group they need you in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 4:46 pm

Is it too early to start reaching out / mass mailing firms? If so, when's a good time to start?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 5:04 pm

Blind leading the blind here, but that seems pretty early to me. At the least, I'm going to wait until grades/honors are finalized on transcripts, and even then probably wait a few more weeks so I'm toward the end of summer job. Opinion isn't uniform, but lateish July seemed to work okay for people last year.

michael2015

New

Post by michael2015 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Talked to recruiters about this: Mid July - Late July is the best time. When OCI for 2Ls starts, they stop looking until September. June is too early, August is too late. Mid July also gives you the opportunity to follow-up in the start of August.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:01 am

michael2015 wrote:Talked to recruiters about this: Mid July - Late July is the best time. When OCI for 2Ls starts, they stop looking until September. June is too early, August is too late. Mid July also gives you the opportunity to follow-up in the start of August.
wow, thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:14 am

Summering at a great firm that I love. The office that I'm in is in the region where I initially wanted to end up post-grad, but now my husband is moving for his job to another city, where my firm also has an office. Hoping that I can transfer a potential offer (provided that all goes well this summer), but otherwise, I will certainly be jumping on the 3L OCI train.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”