Best way to move back to smaller home market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best way to move back to smaller home market

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi all:

I'm looking for advice. Currently a clerk in a competitive district court, previously a litigation associate in biglaw in the market where my clerkship is located.

I've realized I don't want to live here anymore, and would like to head back to my hometown, a major city with a medium-sized, but somewhat insular legal market. Think Denver, Seattle, Atlanta, Charlotte, places like that. I grew up and went to college in my home market, and would like to practice and raise a family there.

I'm wondering how best to approach the possible move. Headhunter? Send resumes? Reach out to alums from my undergrad and law school? I know the right answer is "all of the above," and I'm planning to do all of these things, but I'm hoping that some people who have made similar moves back to their home markets have some helpful advice for what worked for them, and what didn't.

I have my prior biglaw offer to return to, and don't have to give them my answer until May or so. My debt load is manageable, and I can afford the pay cut that comes with moving markets.

Thanks for any advice or help you can give!

Return to “Legal Employment�