ITT: Interviewers tell you common instant ding OCI mistakes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: ITT: Interviewers tell you common instant ding OCI mistakes

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 pm

bk1 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Jenner is probably a bad example because that's the only firm I'm heard where you should mention pro bono. Exception that proves the rule.

I interviewed with one of their pro bono committee partner chairs and he seemed to give 0 fucks in response to me mentioning pro bono (the only interview I ever did and I only did it because he was the committee chair). Might have had more to do with it being a 6pm interview and him seeming to give 0 fucks about me in general.

I agree that generally you're best off not mentioning pro bono with most firms. There's not much to gain with it and it could hurt you (mostly in the sense that it's something hard for the interviewer to talk about if they don't personally particularly care about it and thus that makes the interview go poorly).

My Jenner Interviews did not give a fuck about pro bono either. LOL at them dinging you for not bringing it up.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:26 pm

I knew it was bullshit even there. Thanks for confirming.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 pm

El Pollito wrote:Also chances are your interview don't give a fuuuck about pro bono, so the question isn't going to generate much conversation.

TLSers seem to be at least partially in on a little secret: nobody gives a fuck about pro bono. I don't mean "nobody" in some proverbial sense, either. If you're a good associate, you could tell any partner at any reputable firm in the country, straight up, "I don't care about pro bono work," and none of them would fire or seriously reprimand you for the comment. Just don't say, "I don't give a fuck about billable client work."

To the extent that a few firms act like they care, the act is only a proxy for them to detect other traits they determine to be desirable or a good fit in their particular offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:
El Pollito wrote:Also chances are your interview don't give a fuuuck about pro bono, so the question isn't going to generate much conversation.

TLSers seem to be at least partially in on a little secret: nobody gives a fuck about pro bono. I don't mean "nobody" in some proverbial sense, either. If you're a good associate, you could tell any partner at any reputable firm in the country, straight up, "I don't care about pro bono work," and none of them would fire or seriously reprimand you for the comment. Just don't say, "I don't give a fuck about billable client work."

To the extent that a few firms act like they care, the act is only a proxy for them to detect other traits they determine to be desirable or a good fit in their particular offices.

I'm at one of the "top pro bono firms" according for whoever ranks that stuff. My partner, the head of our office lit department told us "I don't care about pro bono" almost word for word.

soj

Platinum

Postby soj » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:57 am

don't bring up pro bono. your interviewer will often bring it up anyway because it's what law students care about and legal recruiting has instructed interviewers to play up pro bono. when they bring up pro bono you can express enthusiasm for it like you should with everything, but don't go overboard.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You are leaving out the part where he called me stupid for dinging people for using law school classes as the primary reason behind picking a practice. You are right that it was incorrect to respond by making the same exact comment to his point. In any case, I think we both view each other's views as stupid because our firms are looking for different things. My firm looks for candidates who will stay for a while with demonstrated interest in certain practice areas. His firm is looking for people to do the lower level doc review work and then attrition out to prestigious clerkships and in house gigs after 2-3 years (this is why people go to these places, nobody actually goes for a career). If I was a V20 interviewer, I would probably go all GPA personality and just look for the gunners who seemed to have the highest pain tolerance for the two years they stay. We at least want the type who can make it 5 with hopefully a slightly better lifestyle.

In that way you can take my advice with a grain of salt. Sweatshops want people who will sweat. Lifestyle firms want demonstrated interest and commitment. Prestigious lit firms want moot court and law review. I guess everything probably could have been avoided and the thread would have been more productive with that caveat.

At my v10, some associates are running middle-market cases as third/fourth years (big decisions generally signed off on by partners, but associates on the phone, submitting motions, doing depositions, sending contracts to the other side, etc). The fact that they work more hours than a lifestyle firm means they get experience faster. You're right that on the giant cases associates are doing less, but it's wrong to assume that we do less on all deals. In fact, it's my impression that smaller firms are more likely to put more senior partners on middle-market deals because those are the "big" deals for them.

What you're saying may be more true at the monolith firms (ie DLA) but I don't think it's necessarily true at all v20s. It's also not true for all practice areas (some lend themselves to more junior experience early on).

I did everything you described at the end of my first year. This is my whole point.

Yeah, dude, OP was stylin' on dem V20 bros and drafting multi-billion dollar CRAs and PSAs after his first three months thanks to his unparalleled work experience while you were learning how to update your email sig block. Fucking learn about it.

Return to “Legal Employment�