Self-Identification Info

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Self-Identification Info

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi all,

A firm that I applied to through a resume drop at my school's OCI sent me an email asking me to consider voluntarily providing self-identification information to use for its equal employment data.

Should I do this? It's entirely voluntary, and on one hand I don't know if it'll do me any favors voluntarily coming out as a white male prior to any interview being given to me. On the other hand, is there any way firms use this as somewhat of a test to see if the resume drop people are actually interested in the firm by making applicants take this extra step?

Anyone have any experience with this? It's not a big deal either way, I'd just prefer not to identify if it wouldn't hurt me in any way.

baal hadad

Re: Self-Identification Info

Postby baal hadad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Fill out the form and make sure to put down you're a racial and sexual minority

Johann

Postby Johann » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:30 pm

baal hadad wrote:Fill out the form and make sure to put down you're a racial and sexual minority

Firms do this for eery white male they reject in case of law suits to say we aren't discriminatory we turned down all these white dudes. Prolly about to get dinged.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:49 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
baal hadad wrote:Fill out the form and make sure to put down you're a racial and sexual minority

Firms do this for eery white male they reject in case of law suits to say we aren't discriminatory we turned down all these white dudes. Prolly about to get dinged.

So many future rejections then

Return to “Legal Employment”