Should I split my 2L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I split my 2L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 am

I was fortunate enough to get a few pre-OCI offers from firms I'm very excited about. One is a NY V10 and another is ranked in the V10 of Vault's rankings for the secondary market my SO and I are considering. Both are Chambers band 1 for the practice groups I'm looking at and I'm sure anyone would be happy to be at either. However, I'm concerned about splitting. They've each indicated that splitting is okay, but I'd have to go 5 or 6 weeks at each and don't want to shortchange myself as it concerns opportunity to end the summer with offers.

Should I just pick one now or should I split and push the decision to later while risking losing one? I'm very risk averse and am nervous about a split.

ph14

Re: Should I split my 2L summer?

Postby ph14 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 am

I split and think that splitting is the more risk averse position. Better to have 2 chances to try and get an offer. Some say that it might hurt your chances of getting an offer, but i'm skeptical on that point, plus if you're looking at a NY v10 you are probably looking at a 100% offer firm (or at least a firm that's not going to no-offer you because you split).

I split and got offers from both. Don't think it hurt me.

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:37 am

I think the pros outweigh the cons. If you want to do corporate work, you run a little bit of risk of not getting exposure to all of the groups you want to try and potentially not getting enough facetime in with the people who matter if there are groups with more demand than first year slots. If you want to do lit and certain partners/teams are more in demand, it might be the same story. If a firm did need to no offer someone for financial reasons, it would likely be the one who was splitting assuming no one made any egregious work product or social gaffes, but like ph14 said, the V10 isn't going to do that so you should be fine.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am

Absolutely split. Firms don't really look at it negatively and it's hard to tell which firm you'd prefer based on the callback.

Also, most of the time you can get in 12 weeks of the SA dream instead of 10.

Return to “Legal Employment”