Following up with partner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Following up with partner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:56 pm

I emailed a parter that is an alum from my school basically asking about his/her practice, etc. I thought for sure s/he would respond, as s/he is a very involved LS alum, and s/he works in a market where my school is basically completely unrepresented. However, s/he did not get back to me. I have since mass mailed that firms particular office. Would it be unwise to reach out to this partner again and pass my resume along, and explain that I have applied to the office for a SA? I feel like its equally possible that s/he blew me off the first time, or that my original email got lost in the partner's inbox/slipped the partner's mind due to busy schedule. FWIW I have really good grades and LR.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Re: Following up with partner?

Postby Nebby » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:09 pm

9/10 blew you off
1/10 boomer doesn't know how to reply to emails

Neal Patrick Harris

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Probably forgot. Don't email your resume. That's weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:43 pm

What's the best way to approach? I've already applied, so I feel like asking about the firm is kind of moot. TYIA!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:56 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:10/10 blew you off

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 pm

The best thing to do is to move on and find new firms to mass mail and don't stop until you get something.

Dubyuhnell

Postby Dubyuhnell » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Doesn't hurt to send a polite follow up email if you want. No resume though. But definitely start other places

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:26 pm

If you do this, you're lucky to get a response rate of 25%. Unless they're on the hiring committee, there's not much they're going to do for someone they've never met and have no idea of their competence/work ethic. They probably get dozens of e-mails per year re: law students asking for jobs. If not more.

I don't know that one very short follow-up e-mail is going to hurt, but don't send your resume, and be prepared to move on. If they really wanted to respond or if there was something they could do, they would have already done so.

Return to “Legal Employment”