Mass Mailing Cover Letter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ls23

New

Mass Mailing Cover Letter

Post by ls23 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:02 pm

So I know there is a lot of information about Mass Mailing and about Cover Letters on TLS and a lot of that has been helpful. But I was wondering if a generic cover letter that has the firm name sprinkled in (through mail merge), would be good enough to send out. Hoping to hear from people who have mass mailed in the past and what kind of responses they have gotten with tailored vs. generic cover letters or from people that know how law firm recruiters treat mass mailed cover letters. I'm planning on mass mailing NY and Chicago firms.Thanks for any help!

soj

Platinum

Re: Mass Mailing Cover Letter

Post by soj » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:15 pm

no, you can do better. do more research and add a couple sentences about how much you love the firm's practice areas, major clients/industries served, people, culture, summer program, location, assignment system, anything. it's not quantity over quality. it's quantity AND quality.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:42 pm

How are your grades/school? If they are pretty good and you come from a good school, I'd probably just mail merge and hit up every large firm in NY/Chi and see what sticks. If they aren't so good, you'll probably want to be more specific. Warning: being specific sucks. Sometimes it is easy to tell what a firm is good at and how to personalize it. Sometimes it is difficult and takes a long time. Be prepared for a slog.

ls23

New

Post by ls23 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:45 pm

T-30, Top 1/3. Chicago ties. So not great grades. Guess I'll start tailoring the cover letters. Thanks!

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Stealing a bit. For top 5% at T50(ish), how much tailoring is needed for CLs sent to firms in the major market that my school is in? I've just done the basic "because of XYZ practice groups" for most of the firms, but I wanted to double check that'll be enough if I apply broadly for my market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Also stealing a bit, what about top 20% at DCNG with LR?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”