Skadden NY for tax? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden NY for tax?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:57 am

Currently doing research for OCI. I searched around TLS and know Skadden gets a bad rap, at least compared to the other top NY firms. I wondered though if people had a higher opinion of it for tax. Obviously it's highly ranked on vault, and it's also Band 1 tax on chambers and significantly ahead of Cleary as #1 for Vault tax (I know those practice areas on Vault don't mean much/anything). Anyone have any experience or impressions?

Johann

Diamond

Re: Skadden NY for tax?

Post by Johann » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:05 am

Skadden is awesome for tax. Prestige wise and exit option wise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks for the response. I should clarify. My question is more like: Whatever Skadden's merits are overall, could it still be better to choose Skadden over CSM/S&C/DPW/Cleary if you're going into tax?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:13 pm

After interviewing with them all, see what is the best fit. Ask the Skadden partners why they chose Skadden over the other firms. It's likely a couple had similar options. I don't think anyone would consider it a bad move to choose Skadden tax over the others though. Is this tax or employee benefits? And you'll def be practicing tax?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Maybe you should clarify whether you're asking about quality of work, quality of work environment, prefteige, exit ops, relativity of soul crushingness to other top NY firms, etc.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:36 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:After interviewing with them all, see what is the best fit. Ask the Skadden partners why they chose Skadden over the other firms. It's likely a couple had similar options. I don't think anyone would consider it a bad move to choose Skadden tax over the others though. Is this tax or employee benefits? And you'll def be practicing tax?
flawschoolkid wrote:Maybe you should clarify whether you're asking about quality of work, quality of work environment, prefteige, exit ops, relativity of soul crushingness to other top NY firms, etc.
Thanks, those are good suggestions. I'm interested in transactional tax. I guess I can't say that I'll definitely get it but that's what I'm targeting.

Trying to balance prestige/exit options with relative soul crushingness. My current impression is that Skadden won't generally have as bad of hours as Cravath or maybe S&C. That may not even be the case though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:25 pm

I work at one of these firms. Don't go to any seeking a lighter workload - the market and people you work for will dictate that; these are all extremely busy places.

And Skadden tax is good, but not like miles above those others - if it is at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”