Tech Bros: What Laptop for Bar Exam/Working? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sundance95

Gold

Tech Bros: What Laptop for Bar Exam/Working?

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:19 pm

So my laptop died in my 1L summer, and I switched to using a Samsung Chromebook + home desktop for the rest of law school (which I loved). Now I need to purchase a real laptop for the bar exam, and I'd like to buy something that will work well for law firm work.

My only requirements are that it be lightweight, have good battery life, and have a SSD (I'm too spoiled by my Chromebook instantly starting up to go back). I don't care about touchscreens at all and frankly don't want to pay the extra money for one. I've owned both Macs and PCs, and have been a PC guy for some time now, but it looks like there's no or very few ultrabook type laptops that don't include a touchscreen, so the PCs I'm seeing look to be more expensive than the Mac Book Air, which really surprised me. But maybe I am not digging deep enough?

Am I missing the latest great laptop deal? Please let me know, tech bros.

Edit to add: Good keyboard matters too.

Nelson

Gold

Re: Tech Bros: What Laptop for Bar Exam/Working?

Post by Nelson » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Lenovo X240 and install your own SSD is TCR for best keyboard while staying relatively small and light with better battery than a MacBook Air clone. Wait for a sale and you can get one for $600 or less. But your firm will give you a laptop probably.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Nelson wrote:Lenovo X240 and install your own SSD is TCR for best keyboard while staying relatively small and light with better battery than a MacBook Air clone. Wait for a sale and you can get one for $600 or less. But your firm will give you a laptop probably.
Thanks. A couple things:

1) Firm does not give laptops;
2) Can't wait for sale, as I need to purchase sometime this week for the bar;
3) I do not have the tech chops to install my own SSD--I'm looking for turnkey.

Thanks tho, I'll check out the X240.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:32 pm

It's like $1k sticker so MacBook Air comparable. Even you can install an SSD: it requires a screwdriver and 30 minutes following instructions. You could pay Lenovo to put one in for you but seems like a waste of money.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Nelson wrote:It's like $1k sticker so MacBook Air comparable. Even you can install an SSD: it requires a screwdriver and 30 minutes following instructions. You could pay Lenovo to put one in for you but seems like a waste of money.
Gotcha, thx. I'll look into the SSD thing, I could certainly live with the spinner until post-bar.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm a big fan of the thinkpad T-series (T430, T440). They're considerably tougher than your average laptop, and pack lots of power. (they can also come in SSD turnkey)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”