Let's Talk Texas! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Let's Talk Texas!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:25 am

Couldn't find a place where the Texas market was discussed, and with OCI rearing up figured this would be a good time to start one for the year. Questions about firms, reputations, recruiting, receptions, screeners callbacks and offers are all welcome.

Largest Firms in Texas

*Scooped from last year's thread

1. Norton Rose Fulbright
2. Vinson & Elkins
3. Baker Botts
4. Haynes and Boone
5. Jackson Walker
6. Andrews Kurth
7. Bracewell Guiliani
8. Locke Lord
9. Winstead
10. Thompson Knight
11. Gardere
12. Strasburger & Price
13. Jones Day
14. Akin Gump
15. Kelly Hart & Hallman

Good Luck Everyone!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk Texas!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:31 am

OP Here - Didn't want to clog the first post with my own questions. Wondering how firms look at out of state students. I'm at a regional T20 (Vandy/WashU) and am targeting Texas, even though I don't have ties to the state. I figured with the large class sizes, my school would be looked at in a pretty good light?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here - Didn't want to clog the first post with my own questions. Wondering how firms look at out of state students. I'm at a regional T20 (Vandy/WashU) and am targeting Texas, even though I don't have ties to the state. I figured with the large class sizes, my school would be looked at in a pretty good light?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Its going to vary quite a lot by firm I think. Im an SA in Houston from a similar school as you appear to be, and I will say that myself and all of my classmates who wanted Texas got it as far as I know. Firms vary though. I got call backs with firms that are much larger and more "prestigious" than others who didnt give me a second thought after my screener. I also didnt get callbacks from some firms while I ended up with callbacks and offers from their peers. It really does start to seem random on the other side of it.

My biggest advice would be to have a good reason for wanting to be in Texas, and know the firms well going into your interviews (Like everyone says). If your grades are above the cutoff for your school you have a good shot at (probably) landing at least a few callbacks in TX.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote: My biggest advice would be to have a good reason for wanting to be in Texas, and know the firms well going into your interviews (Like everyone says). If your grades are above the cutoff for your school you have a good shot at (probably) landing at least a few callbacks in TX.
What would a good reason be? I'm from a southern city outside Texas, and so far my strategy is to play up how Texas is growing into an industry leader, how I prefer the south and want to stay in the south. But I have no family and have never lived in the state. Big problem?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Couldn't find a place where the Texas market was discussed, and with OCI rearing up figured this would be a good time to start one for the year. Questions about firms, reputations, recruiting, receptions, screeners callbacks and offers are all welcome.

Largest Firms in Texas

*Scooped from last year's thread

1. Norton Rose Fulbright
2. Vinson & Elkins
3. Baker Botts
4. Haynes and Boone
5. Jackson Walker
6. Andrews Kurth
7. Bracewell Guiliani
8. Locke Lord
9. Winstead
10. Thompson Knight
11. Gardere
12. Strasburger & Price
13. Jones Day
14. Akin Gump
15. Kelly Hart & Hallman

Good Luck Everyone!
So like Texas to recognize Top 15.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightingale

New

Post by Nightingale » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:53 am

BVest wrote: So like Texas to recognize Top 15.
Made me laugh.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Try posting here! Not just for UT students. :D
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=232541

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”