T-30 3.2 URM Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Options

Apply
40%
Waste of time. Enjoy summer and keep pi/pd networking
60%

Total votes: 5

Anonymous User

T-30 3.2 URM

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:01 pm

T30 MA (URM). 3.2 gpa at a 3.3 median school. I was 100 percent PD focused going into law school. I Interned there first year and I Liked it. However I focused more on interning there and doing other pro bono than I should have. I wasn't worried at all about grades since all the pds I talked to said they wouldn't matter.

I am still leaning PD (75 percent) but was considering doing my school's OCI and applying to firm diversity fellowships. Are there any less grade conscious firms I should target? Or Would I be wasting my time? I applied to a regional diversity fair (and received one preselect). Thanks for any and all advice.

Other info
K-JD but had legal internships during school
Little debt (good scholly)

Anonymous User

Re: T-30 3.2 URM

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Bump

dead head

Bronze

Post by dead head » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:46 pm

How hard is it to apply through OCI? Does it require more than 5 minutes of bidding firms? Is this too big an investment, time-wise, for for you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:36 pm

I can bid fairly quickly. Some of the firms require cover letters (a bit of time). Prepping for interviews and actually interviewing would take a bit more.

Also my school uses a lottery system. Thus, I'm scared I might get an interview but as soon as the interviewer sees my GPA I'd be out.

I want to have a realistic expectation of my chances. Outside of elite, ultra grade selective firms, does a 3.2 shut me out of most firms or would a good interview give me at least a slight chance?

dead head

Bronze

Post by dead head » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can bid fairly quickly. Some of the firms require cover letters (a bit of time). Prepping for interviews and actually interviewing would take a bit more.

Also my school uses a lottery system. Thus, I'm scared I might get an interview but as soon as the interviewer sees my GPA I'd be out.

I want to have a realistic expectation of my chances. Outside of elite, ultra grade selective firms, does a 3.2 shut me out of most firms or would a good interview give me at least a slight chance?
Does your school not release any GPA information or data regarding OCI? If they have a pure lottery-based OCI (which is strange), then they better release data or firms would probably get really annoyed at interviewing all these people they're never going to hire. Have you even talked to career services, any minority-students group you belong to, or even BLSA?

I mean, as it is you're asking random strangers on the internet who have no idea what firms/offices are showing up at your school, and it doesn't sound like you've done any research of your own on how your OCI works.

If you're asking whether you have a chance at V100 NYC offices, then the answer is that I would really doubt it. But the fact that you received a pre-select at a diversity fair should surely tell you something about whether some places are willing to consider you. And st the very minimum you'll get the chance to practice interviewing, even if the interviewing style is rather different from PDs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”