Cybersecurity related state, local, or fed govt agency Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cybersecurity related state, local, or fed govt agency

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Hey, so there is a full tuition + stipend scholarship (though I already have a ~90k scholarship so it the benefits are slightly limited) available for 2L/3L year related to the cybersecurity field that allows for one to learn the technical side of the industry too.

I am really interested in this but I absolutely do not want to work for the NSA or an agency related. In fact, I want to do the exact opposite if I were to work in this sector. (EFF/PK/etc)

The scholarship requires:

"Participating students are required to work at a state, local or federal government agency for two years after graduation, and to work in a government cybersecurity internship during the summer between their second and third years of law school."

So basically, are there any cybersecurity related government jobs that aren't basically the NSA or NSA type work? Does anyone have any information on this?

Otherwise, I have a solid shot for biglaw and will, if that works out, be out of debt in ~2.5-3 years.

Yukos

Gold

Re: Cybersecurity related state, local, or fed govt agency

Post by Yukos » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 am

I'm not sure how broad their definition of cybersecurity is, but a couple agencies have bodies that oversee or enforce privacy policies at agencies (e.g. OPCL in DOJ). It seems like an internship at something like the Computer Crime Section of DOJ would count too, and you wouldn't be doing anything like what the NSA does (which is more along the lines of breaking cybersecurity than enforcing it). FCC has been moving a little more into cybersecurity too, maybe check them out.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:12 am

For what it is worth, I run a Computer Security Incident Response Team for a Federal Agency. If you PM me I will be willing to discuss some of the trends I have observed that may be of interest to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks a lot for the information. Enforcing privacy laws would definitely be something I would be very interested in, along with any policy position I could one day get from that kind of job.

I appreciate the answers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”