A few dumb formatting questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Wearthewildthingsr

New

A few dumb formatting questions

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 am

Is it ok to use an official transcript if the firms ask for an unofficial transcript?

Can you substitute months for years (i.e. 2011-2012) if you have an employment gap and it wouldn't look as bad? Even if the "official format" mandated by the school is to use months?

Anonymous User

Re: A few dumb formatting questions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:40 am

Wearthewildthingsr wrote:Is it ok to use an official transcript if the firms ask for an unofficial transcript?

Can you substitute months for years (i.e. 2011-2012) if you have an employment gap and it wouldn't look as bad? Even if the "official format" mandated by the school is to use months?
I don't see why you'd use the official, but I also don't see a glaring issue. Think about it in terms of the interviewer/recruiter--everyone has an unofficial printout, and you have the more colorful official one. How does that strike you? If I were a recruiter I would just be thinking "oh this is a bit unnecessary, everyone else has unofficials". Some might think further "this is a bit over the top" and some others might think "s/he seems to be going the extra mile for this interview"? Probably the former.

I would just recommend not using the official one because often times people keep your transcript after you hand it to them during the interview. And those cost money right? At least they do for me.

As far as taking out the months, this is definite no--confirmed by every career counselor and professional recruiter I've spoken with over the past however many years. It raises a red flag, and you might get asked a question. I should add that if the specific interviewer does not care, or adopts this erroneous practice, you're fine. But any firm recruiter whose business involves high volume résumé review would likely view the omission in a negative way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wearthewildthingsr wrote:Is it ok to use an official transcript if the firms ask for an unofficial transcript?

I don't see why you'd use the official, but I also don't see a glaring issue. Think about it in terms of the interviewer/recruiter--everyone has an unofficial printout, and you have the more colorful official one. How does that strike you? If I were a recruiter I would just be thinking "oh this is a bit unnecessary, everyone else has unofficials". Some might think further "this is a bit over the top" and some others might think "s/he seems to be going the extra mile for this interview"? Probably the former.

I would just recommend not using the official one because often times people keep your transcript after you hand it to them during the interview. And those cost money right? At least they do for me.
i go to HLS, and the exception there, according to the school's career services office, is if you have one or more DSes (book awards). the office says they stand out more prominently in the official transcript, and that's really the only reason why a student would want to get the official ones. if you don't have DSes, it's not worth the trouble, the office says. this might be the case at other schools too.

and at H, you can get 10 free copies of the official transcript per month. your school might have free copies too.

Wearthewildthingsr

New

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:45 am

OP here. Last question. For the recruiter suppose the firm's website says Recruiter Name Joe Dane and from your research you know they're in the GA office but you're interested in the NY office.

Would you put as the address block the GA office or the NY office? If GA office, obv you need to address in the cover letter you're interested in the New York office but I would assume if you put that person's name with a NY address then it'll be assumed that you're interested in New York and don't need to put anything right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”