moving addresses in the middle of mass mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zoomzoom88

Silver

moving addresses in the middle of mass mailing

Post by zoomzoom88 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:44 am

I have begun to send out some mass mailings and am using my current address on my resume. I am moving in 2 weeks. Should I follow up with these firms then to update my address? Or do most firms correspond interview requests via email and phone? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Yardbird

Silver

Re: moving addresses in the middle of mass mailing

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:50 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:I have begun to send out some mass mailings and am using my current address on my resume. I am moving in 2 weeks. Should I follow up with these firms then to update my address? Or do most firms correspond interview requests via email and phone? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I can only speak from 1L mass mailing, but any snail mail I received was a ding. All requests for more information, interviews, and "back and forth" correspondence was by email or phone. This was the case with all firms in NY/DC and in two secondary markets that I applied to (which was most-if not all-of them).

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:52 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
zoomzoom88 wrote:I have begun to send out some mass mailings and am using my current address on my resume. I am moving in 2 weeks. Should I follow up with these firms then to update my address? Or do most firms correspond interview requests via email and phone? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I can only speak from 1L mass mailing, but any snail mail I received was a ding. All requests for more information, interviews, and "back and forth" correspondence was by email or phone. This was the case with all firms in NY/DC and in two secondary markets that I applied to (which was most-if not all-of them).
This, and also just tell the post office to FWD all mail to your new one. it costs like $1.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:53 am

Not to be a douche (which I'll be anyway), but any firm that sends even vaguely important communication only by snail mail in 2014 is probably not one you want to work for.

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:57 am

awesome thank you! i am going to have our mail forwarded but our post office is awful

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:19 am

The only things you'll miss are rejection letters.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:35 am

ymmv wrote:Not to be a douche (which I'll be anyway), but any firm that sends even vaguely important communication only by snail mail in 2014 is probably not one you want to work for.
Last year I received a snail mail interview request from a firm 30 days after the postmark. Even assuming you only get rejections in the mail, you should still get the post office to forward stuff to your new address so you can keep track of who has rejected you. That will make following up way easier.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:23 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:awesome thank you! i am going to have our mail forwarded but our post office is awful
Your options:
If your change of address is temporary
(1) Premium Forwarding Service: costs $17.50 per week but is sent out every Wednesday via Priority Mail to your new address (so about a 3-5 day delay); mail forwarding reverts back to your original address on the stated end date
(2) "temporary change of address": costs $1.05 TOTAL, but mail is forwarded as it arrives via normal post (so about a 10 day delay); mail forwarding reverts back to your original address on the stated end date

If your change of address is permanent, you can still do either of the above but just know that PFS and change of address have duration limitations (at least 2 weeks but not longer than 1 year). If you are permanently moving, just know you won't be able to get mail forwarded from your old address after a year.

You can sign up for either option online. I did #2 above for the summer to have any mail from my school address forwarded to my parents home with an end date 10 days before I return to school. If you have the money or think you need the mail faster, then go with #1. IF YOU HAVE BILLS, I would not use either and I would contact any company you pay by mail to switch your address over.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”