dealing with sleepiness on heavy research assignments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rouser

Bronze

dealing with sleepiness on heavy research assignments

Post by rouser » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:22 pm

just a rising 3L here. despite working (only) 40 hrs/wk at summer job, I'm having a little bit of a tough time staying alert when dealing w/ heavy research on Westlaw. I don't consider research to be stressful, but keeping the focus throughout the day can be tough. I'll usually take an energy shot before work, and then spare an additional energy shot for after lunch, and balance this as needed w/ anxiety pills if I get overly wired on caffeine. when I'm writing a memo I don't get tired. It's the prolonged research on Westlaw that sometimes makes me sleepy. just wondering if people have certain strategies or techniques for staying focused/productive throughout the day when dealing w/ heavy research. TYIA.

chem

Silver

Re: dealing with sleepiness on heavy research assignments

Post by chem » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:30 pm

rouser wrote:just a rising 3L here. despite working (only) 40 hrs/wk at summer job, I'm having a little bit of a tough time staying alert when dealing w/ heavy research on Westlaw. I don't consider research to be stressful, but keeping the focus throughout the day can be tough. I'll usually take an energy shot before work, and then spare an additional energy shot for after lunch, and balance this as needed w/ anxiety pills if I get overly wired on caffeine. when I'm writing a memo I don't get tired. It's the prolonged research on Westlaw that sometimes makes me sleepy. just wondering if people have certain strategies or techniques for staying focused/productive throughout the day when dealing w/ heavy research. TYIA.
I like to have more than one project. When I start to lose focus on one, shifting to another usually refreshes my attention span. Rinse repeat

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:31 pm

rouser wrote:just a rising 3L here. despite working (only) 40 hrs/wk at summer job, I'm having a little bit of a tough time staying alert when dealing w/ heavy research on Westlaw. I don't consider research to be stressful, but keeping the focus throughout the day can be tough. I'll usually take an energy shot before work, and then spare an additional energy shot for after lunch, and balance this as needed w/ anxiety pills if I get overly wired on caffeine. when I'm writing a memo I don't get tired. It's the prolonged research on Westlaw that sometimes makes me sleepy. just wondering if people have certain strategies or techniques for staying focused/productive throughout the day when dealing w/ heavy research. TYIA.
Whenever I stop working out frequently enough this starts to happen. I suggest getting to the gym more often if possible.
I also find that getting up to take a brief jog up and down the stairs every couple hours wakes me up and keeps me focused.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:58 pm

More caffeine is always the answer.

Genuine4ps

Silver

Post by Genuine4ps » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:49 am

ymmv wrote:
Whenever I stop working out frequently enough this starts to happen. I suggest getting to the gym more often if possible.
I also find that getting up to take a brief jog up and down the stairs every couple hours wakes me up and keeps me focused.
Exercise is TCR. Make sure you're eating healthy too.

Are you getting plenty of QUALITY sleep? Your room should be absolutely dark, and by this I mean you should not have even a large digital clock. I've learned that quality of sleep is just as important as length.

You also said you're on anxiety medication. Those often cause sleepiness.

Finally, talk to your doctor and see if you have any medical issues that need to be addressed.

I've been in your position too, and it really sucks to have to do research when you can't think about anything other than going to sleep. I learned a long time ago that when something like this is disrupting your day, get it taken care of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

salix

New

Post by salix » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:20 am

Genuine4ps wrote:
ymmv wrote:
Exercise is TCR. Make sure you're eating healthy too.

Are you getting plenty of QUALITY sleep? Your room should be absolutely dark, and by this I mean you should not have even a large digital clock. I've learned that quality of sleep is just as important as length.

You also said you're on anxiety medication. Those often cause sleepiness.

Finally, talk to your doctor and see if you have any medical issues that need to be addressed.

I've been in your position too, and it really sucks to have to do research when you can't think about anything other than going to sleep. I learned a long time ago that when something like this is disrupting your day, get it taken care of.

Also, water. Caffeine and certain medications can be very dehydrating, which can cause fatigue and lack of focus.

Additionally, get away from your screen for a bit. Just 5 minutes of walking halls/stairs while listening to good music can do wonders. You can spare it. You're not working optimally if you're this tired anyway.

CicerBRo

Bronze

Post by CicerBRo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:43 am

Put in some headphones and play some heavy Metallica while you're researching. Problem solved.

In all seriousness, as a fellow heavy coffee user, recognize that at a certain point caffeine loses its effectiveness. It actually starts to make you MORE sleepy because you need more and more caffeine to reach the same point. So you will reach a point where to be fully awake, you will NEED a coffee.

You should spend two weeks withdrawing from all but two cups of coffee a day like I did. It sucks, but it is worth it at the end of the two weeks.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:48 am

CicerBRo wrote:Put in some headphones and play some heavy Metallica while you're researching. Problem solved.

In all seriousness, as a fellow heavy coffee user, recognize that at a certain point caffeine loses its effectiveness. It actually starts to make you MORE sleepy because you need more and more caffeine to reach the same point. So you will reach a point where to be fully awake, you will NEED a coffee.

You should spend two weeks withdrawing from all but two cups of coffee a day like I did. It sucks, but it is worth it at the end of the two weeks.
Jesus Christ, dude, what were you drinking before.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:53 am

For every 20 minutes you stare at a computer screen, you should take 20 seconds to look at an object 20 feet away. Part of your sleepiness could just be from eye strain.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:56 am

Just a rising 2L here but so far my job has given me the same sleepiness. I also get migraines by the end of the day.

I think a lot of the advice is creditted itt. Definitely drinking water to balance out the caffeine, not staring at the screen all day, and taking breaks.

I would also say that you should try to sit up straight. I find that when I sit back in my chair (it pushes back) and I get extra sleepy (duh).

Anonnn

New

Post by Anonnn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:08 am

Honestly, more caffeine is not the answer. I had the same problem as you 1L summer. Got to the point where I was drinking one of those huge iced coffees from Dunkin every day and still nearly falling asleep at my desk.

My advice:

1) Cut back or eliminate caffeine - It will be hard for the first day or two but you will a) sleep better and b) be more awake.
2) Exercise at least a couple of times during the week
3) Don't eat a huge lunch.
4) Get your full 8 hours of sleep and try to get it by going to be before like 1AM.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:32 pm

TLS

ghosthaunter

New

Post by ghosthaunter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 pm

I used to have a major problem with drowsiness when staring down my monitor or reading long term. I found a lot of it was due to just how I was either sitting or my eyes were tired. I've found a few supplements like nootropics to help push me through the night without becoming tired or distracted, like Piracetam or Adrafinil. The piracetam also is reported to help increase memory retention and recall, but I've only just started with that. The adrafinil I looked into after hearing about Modafinil, and seeking out a nonprescription alternative, which led me to its precursor.

You can read more about nootropics at https://www.smartdrugsforthought.com/ and wikipedia.
Last edited by ghosthaunter on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:40 pm

I print out a few cases that get passed the preliminary pass and walk around reading them instead of in my chair, doing this once an hour keeps me awake.

ghosthaunter

New

Post by ghosthaunter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Stretching is also a good idea too. You'd be surprised how a quick few minutes spent stretching can help wake you back up. It also helps you think a bit more clearly, at least IMO, considering it should help blood and oxygen flow throughout your body including your brain. There's been studies done that have shown that standing while studying or testing can actually improve overall performance.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:13 pm

ghosthaunter wrote:Stretching is also a good idea too. You'd be surprised how a quick few minutes spent stretching can help wake you back up. It also helps you think a bit more clearly, at least IMO, considering it should help blood and oxygen flow throughout your body including your brain. There's been studies done that have shown that standing while studying or testing can actually improve overall performance.
I stand at my legal job (by choice) all day and I'm a lazy pos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I print out a few cases that get passed the preliminary pass and walk around reading them instead of in my chair, doing this once an hour keeps me awake.

I do the same. I am finding it is a lot easier to read cases as hard copies even sitting at my desk than staring at a screen.

Also, for ever half hour or so of research/drafting, I take a couple minute break. Either just pop on espn or something or take a walk around the office.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CicerBRo

Bronze

Post by CicerBRo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 pm

ymmv wrote:
CicerBRo wrote:Put in some headphones and play some heavy Metallica while you're researching. Problem solved.

Jesus Christ, dude, what were you drinking before.
5 cups a day man, and like 2 of those cups were red eyes. I know, I know: super unhealthy. -_-

Genuine4ps

Silver

Post by Genuine4ps » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 pm

5 cups of coffee a day is a lot, but it's not a highly unusual amount.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:41 am

CicerBRo wrote:
5 cups a day man, and like 2 of those cups were red eyes. I know, I know: super unhealthy. -_-
I just noticed that you exist. Are you my bro?

CicerBRo

Bronze

Post by CicerBRo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
CicerBRo wrote:
I just noticed that you exist. Are you my bro?
Of course I'm your bro, bro.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ghosthaunter

New

Post by ghosthaunter » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:46 pm

dowu wrote:
ghosthaunter wrote:Stretching is also a good idea too. You'd be surprised how a quick few minutes spent stretching can help wake you back up. It also helps you think a bit more clearly, at least IMO, considering it should help blood and oxygen flow throughout your body including your brain. There's been studies done that have shown that standing while studying or testing can actually improve overall performance.

Hahahah! Try tossing in some stretches then! Or take some supplements or nootropics. Adrafinil, or Sunifiram might be cool for what you do and help you push through those "lazy dozing off periods".

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:39 am

dowu wrote:
Standing desks are so great; I wish I had one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”