AA Male - 3.37 at GULC - OCI Help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AA Male - 3.37 at GULC - OCI Help

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:45 pm

This might out me, but I figure the advice I receive and the help to future posters outweigh the downsides of starting this thread.

So I am AA male, 3.37 at GULC (between median and 40%), I have a biochemistry degree, and I have ties to the bay area and to LA. Reading through TLS threads, it seems the conventional wisdom for a non-URM with my stats is to go New York heavy and target the other markets through mass mailing.

I was thinking of playing it safe and bidding mostly NY firms at which my GPA is competitive. Is there a better approach? Where should I bid the IP firms? Should I target bay area or LA firms? How far "above my station" should I bid?

I am interested in regulatory law, which is why I would prefer to stay in DC. But I have no issues with doing litigation in New York.

dead head

Bronze

Re: AA Male - 3.37 at GULC - OCI Help

Post by dead head » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:05 pm

Georgetown's BLSA seems to be pretty good, so I think that would be the first place you should ask: given the dearth of AA males, I'm not sure if you're going to find anyone on TLS who has been in your exact situation before. In the EIW thread there are promising anecdotes about what people have achieved with GPAs in the 3.3x range, and although I generally have my doubts about the security of people in this range, I think you have as good a chance as anyone.

But I don't think a basic biochem degree is a great draw in IP, as they typically want a PhD or master's for bio sciences. Georgetown's SIPLA is also pretty helpful, so I suggest reaching out to someone there, too.

Anonymous User

Re: AA Male - 3.37 at GULC - OCI Help

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:53 am

Dead head is right. You need to reach out to BLSA and ask if they can connect you w/ an AA male to go over your bid list. Reach out to the academic chair or the president. Or the former 1L rep. GL.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”