Women OCI suits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bcmax

New

Women OCI suits

Post by bcmax » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:32 am

Is this JCrew jacket too casual in the dark grey (heather flannel) for OCI?

https://www.jcrew.com/browse/single_pro ... ID=krrwcPC

Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Women OCI suits

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:48 am

Totally appropriate if worn with matching skirt/pants.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 am

I don't like how big the buttons are (maybe bc of the contrast in color), but they aren't inappropriate. Ann Taylor is having a 50% off sale this weekend too btw.

bcmax

New

Post by bcmax » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:21 am

shifty_eyed wrote:I don't like how big the buttons are (maybe bc of the contrast in color), but they aren't inappropriate. Ann Taylor is having a 50% off sale this weekend too btw.

I looked at Ann Taylor, but I didn't find a charcoal/dark grey, which is what I was looking for. Calvin Klein is also having a suit sale right now. Unfortunately, the only charcoal suit they have is exactly the same as my black suit and the black suit had to have some crazy alterations done to fit me correctly.

m079

New

Post by m079 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:26 am

Is it really better for women to wear skirt suits rather than pant suits at OCI? I've heard that there are judges who only allow women attorneys wearing skirt suits in their courtroom-- but is this outdated for OCI? Seems kind of ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:28 am

m079 wrote:Is it really better for women to wear skirt suits rather than pant suits at OCI? I've heard that there are judges who only allow women attorneys wearing skirt suits in their courtroom-- but is this outdated for OCI? Seems kind of ridiculous.
Just get a skirt suit for OCI.

bcmax

New

Post by bcmax » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:28 am

m079 wrote:Is it really better for women to wear skirt suits rather than pant suits at OCI? I've heard that there are judges who only allow women attorneys wearing skirt suits in their courtroom-- but is this outdated for OCI? Seems kind of ridiculous.
Apparently. I emailed a close family friend who is a partner at a law firm for OCI advice and this was her reply:
Regarding wardrobe--- it is absolutely not a silly question. We did a program with a consultant at the law school at Notre Dame a couple of years ago, and she confirmed that the standards for interviewing are pretty close today to what they were 25 years ago!

Definitely go with a conservative look—dark navy, charcoal, or black (not khaki, not white, not green or pink or red); you want the interviewers to remember YOU, not the suit. Ann Taylor has a great sale going on right now (I’m including the e-mail on the sale), and its suits are generally are well-tailored. My business colleagues also find nice suits at Banana Republic. Sometimes, there is success at J.Crew as well, although sales are harder to find on the business suiting. I strongly recommend that you buy a skirt, and not slacks for the interview. It’s just safer. Buy the pants to wear AFTER you are hired; but wear the skirt to the interview. Knee-length. Not shorter.

Find a nice crisp blouse. Brooks Brothers—if you can get one on clearance—has some very nice quality women’s non-iron shirts—they don’t need a lot of care. Ann Taylor also has nice business blouses. Nothing sparkly, or too revealing (of course), but simple and easy. Don’t forget a pair of closed-toe basic pumps. Nude or black goes with just about everything. I would not (even though they’re hard to find) go over 3 inches. 2-2-1/2 inches is better.

One ring per hand. Simple, non-dangly earrings. No bracelets.

I know this sounds pretty boring. After you are hired, there’s more flexibility, depending on the firm—but for the interviews, this is the best strategy.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Is this suit too light? I really want to take advatage of the AK sale today.

http://www.anntaylor.com/pinstripe-stre ... Color=6654

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Is this suit too light? I really want to take advatage of the AK sale today.

http://www.anntaylor.com/pinstripe-stre ... Color=6654
Disclaimer: I have not gone through OCI, but I have looked pretty deeply into it while I was helping my fiance go through his. So all of my knowledge is based on the standards for men's interview attire as well as what I've seen the ladies around campus wearing.

It is too light, and I would steer clear of pinstripes. The best options are dark charcoal, or dark blue.

Also, black suits are for funerals, not interviews.
Last edited by fra on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

m079

New

Post by m079 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 pm

thanks, bcmax!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:25 pm

bcmax, I think all of that advice is spot on.
I had a terrific dark blue (Banana Republic, I think) suit for OCI but I did use a black one for a couple of call backs. (I think the rule is different for women - we can get away with black whereas for men that funeral rule applies.)
I've has a lot of luck buying work stuff at AT - looking at the sale right now.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Black is fine for women, and quite common. The rule is different.

Another really important thing- wear something that fits the standards but still makes you feel confident. For example, button down shirts gape on me and make me feel frumpy and self-conscious. That's not a feeling you want going in to an interview. I wore a mix of lovely, professional silk shell tops instead and it turned out just fine.

bcmax

New

Post by bcmax » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:42 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Black is fine for women, and quite common. The rule is different.

Another really important thing- wear something that fits the standards but still makes you feel confident. For example, button down shirts gape on me and make me feel frumpy and self-conscious. That's not a feeling you want going in to an interview. I wore a mix of lovely, professional silk shell tops instead and it turned out just fine.
Franklyscarlet--

Where did you buy your shells from?? I haven't been able to find a great selection.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:47 pm

I have not gone through OCI yet, but I have seen light suits work in other situations and be very flattering especially on very petite women, who might otherwise appear even smaller in dark suits. Perhaps the light color is not professional enough for screener interviews, but if you are stocking up now, one might be nice to have for receptions, maybe even callbacks, and definitely for next summer.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:49 pm

bcmax wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Black is fine for women, and quite common. The rule is different.

Franklyscarlet--

Where did you buy your shells from?? I haven't been able to find a great selection.
Banana, j.crew, ann Taylor, the usual suspects. I just checked on all their websites pretty frequently through the summer, and bought them when I found them. I think Macy's has a decent suiting section with some tops, and Calvin Klein is good too.

I think there's an old women's suiting thread around that was very helpful. I'll try to bump if I can find it.

Edit: found it! http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=300

bcmax

New

Post by bcmax » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:05 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
bcmax wrote:

Franklyscarlet--

Banana, j.crew, ann Taylor, the usual suspects. I just checked on all their websites pretty frequently through the summer, and bought them when I found them. I think Macy's has a decent suiting section with some tops, and Calvin Klein is good too.

I think there's an old women's suiting thread around that was very helpful. I'll try to bump if I can find it.

Edit: found it! http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=300
Thanks! I will just keep looking for the rest of the summer, but I did find some on Anne Taylor that I like!
nygrrrl wrote:bcmax, I think all of that advice is spot on.
I had a terrific dark blue (Banana Republic, I think) suit for OCI but I did use a black one for a couple of call backs. (I think the rule is different for women - we can get away with black whereas for men that funeral rule applies.)
I've has a lot of luck buying work stuff at AT - looking at the sale right now.
Nygrrrl- Did you wear a dark blue/navy skirt suit? I was told that navy skirts may look too "flight-attendantish" so I was trying to stay away from them!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:01 pm

bcmax wrote: Nygrrrl- Did you wear a dark blue/navy skirt suit? I was told that navy skirts may look too "flight-attendantish" so I was trying to stay away from them!
I've heard that too and it really stuck with me! I wore a cadet blue (sort of blue/black) lightweight wool suit that had a subtle pattern in the material (I hope that makes sense.) I just checked and it was from Banana so maybe you can picture it. I wouldn't go with flat navy.
Also agree totally with Scarlet - I look awful in button downs and feel like a sausage in them, so I collect shells whenever I find them. Banana is reliable, I've also found some at Talbot's (I know, I know but they're just shells) and AT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blue920

New

Post by blue920 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:40 am

I've gotten some good shells from the limited, though their selection lately has been...limited. That's also where I got my two newest suits (black and navy) from - they had a great B1G1 free sale. One suit free - jacket, skirt, pants.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Sale on anntaylor.com today. Looks to be some basic suiting in the sale section, if you know your sizing.

wavygirl12

New

Post by wavygirl12 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:57 pm

bcmax wrote:Is this JCrew jacket too casual in the dark grey (heather flannel) for OCI?

https://www.jcrew.com/browse/single_pro ... ID=krrwcPC

Thanks!
Jumping in to say that I own this suit in black, and it's absolutely terrific (I got this jacket plus the pencil skirt and the Emmaleigh dress). Great purchase and more than conservative enough for my firm. As shifty noted, the buttons look big in that pic - but they're normal/smallish in real life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm big on dresses. Whats the consensus on a dark neutral dress with a blazer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wavygirl12

New

Post by wavygirl12 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm big on dresses. Whats the consensus on a dark neutral dress with a blazer?
It should all be the same fabric, same color, same make. E.g., getting a Super 120s dress at J Crew and the matching Super 120s jacket, in the same color. Anything else is a giant no no. Also, if you're interviewing at a more conservative firm, I might recommend a skirt suit + button down shirt rather than a dress suit (this is sort of TLS wisdom, though I myself didn't notice any difference in terms of interview to callback to offer conversion between interviews where I was in a dress suit vs skirt suit)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 pm

wavygirl12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm big on dresses. Whats the consensus on a dark neutral dress with a blazer?
It should all be the same fabric, same color, same make. E.g., getting a Super 120s dress at J Crew and the matching Super 120s jacket, in the same color. Anything else is a giant no no. Also, if you're interviewing at a more conservative firm, I might recommend a skirt suit + button down shirt rather than a dress suit (this is sort of TLS wisdom, though I myself didn't notice any difference in terms of interview to callback to offer conversion between interviews where I was in a dress suit vs skirt suit)
Agree totally with this. For work, neutral dress with blazer is likely fine, but for interviews you want everything to match as described above (you want a suit designed to be a suit, not separates).

hoorahray

New

Post by hoorahray » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:30 am

You can be "big on dresses" any other time of the year. This is 2-3 weeks that could very well determine the beginning of your career. Go conservative. Save the suit dresses for when you actually have the job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”