Can you get out of TX?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can you get out of TX?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Assuming you aren't at a Susman or Baker Botts, are exit options out of TX to BigLaw firms in other cities (NY, LA, SF, DC) plausible? I'm thinking corporate, but want to start in TX for a spell for personal reasons before moving to either coast.

Would going to a firm like Skadden Houston or Weil Dallas make moves to those firms other offices easier than trying to go Mayer Brown TX --> V10 in the aforementioned cities? I could certainly get hired in their bigger offices now via EIP, I have the grades, but I'm looking to push a coastal move further into the future.

Anonymous User

Re: Can you get out of TX?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:59 pm

Bump

enibs

Bronze

Re: Can you get out of TX?

Postby enibs » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:34 am

Doesn't this question answer itself? Not that it's necessarily easy, but it has to be easier to move from the Texas office of Skadden or Weil to the NY or LA office of Skadden or Weil than it is to move cities and firms at the same time. NY and LA firms don't look to Texas when they're hiring laterally (and btw, lateral hiring has been way down of late in any event). And SF/DC firms are even harder.

Return to “Legal Employment�