GW OCI 2014 - Meh? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GW OCI 2014 - Meh?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:15 am

Thought I'd start a thread so we can discuss. Also taking suggestions to edit the title to make it better (if I'm able to edit).

Edit:

For future students looking at GW as a law school, OCI is not great here. Do not come here big law or bust. Not even as IP.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: GW OCI 2014 - Meh?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:01 am

Yes!! Someone finally made one. checking in

GW Law OCI 2012: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=187366

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:23 am

Anyone doing the GW/GT Joint program starting today? I'm interesting in K&L Gates Pittsburgh, but have no idea if I've even got a shot since its also with Georgetown. Right outside top 15%, grew up in Pgh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Deleted for brevity.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Checking in. 3.6x, GW Scholar. Non-IP. Gunning hard for NY Regional. Will post my bid list soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. 3.6x, GW Scholar. Non-IP. Gunning hard for NY Regional. Will post my bid list soon.
NY regional is unlimited bids, thank god (even though its only 30).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Tagging along. Transfer here.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone doing the GW/GT Joint program starting today? I'm interesting in K&L Gates Pittsburgh, but have no idea if I've even got a shot since its also with Georgetown. Right outside top 15%, grew up in Pgh.
PM me. I think I can help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:56 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:20 am

Checking in...will update when things start rolling

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:25 am

Hey GW. Our TLS presence has been pretty weak in the past and I remember wishing there was more information here when I went through OCI, so I figured I would jump in now to answer any questions specific to GW. I'm an alum, V50 associate, OCI interviewer. Glad to help as much as possible without identifying myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey GW. Our TLS presence has been pretty weak in the past and I remember wishing there was more information here when I went through OCI, so I figured I would jump in now to answer any questions specific to GW. I'm an alum, V50 associate, OCI interviewer. Glad to help as much as possible without identifying myself.
Thanks for this! I'm top 20%. I've bid accordingly. Not URM, no WE, have some connections to a few firms. What can I expect?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for this! I'm top 20%. I've bid accordingly. Not URM, no WE, have some connections to a few firms. What can I expect?
This is V50 alum. You're welcome.

Here's how biglaw hiring tends to break down: GW Scholars are presumed to get an offer, TM Scholars are 50/50, and non-ranked students are presumed not to get an offer. The presumptions are "rebuttable" in that a few GW Scholars with terrible social skills will strike out, and a few non-ranked students with great networking and interview skills will get offers. These probabilities are affected in a fairly minor way by soft factors like LR/journal, moot court, mock trial, and 1L summer position. If you have a B.S. and want to go into IP, this breakdown changes dramatically.

You're in great shape at top 20%, but you should still hustle as much as possible. Mass mail every firm that doesn't interview on campus or that you don't bid on during OCI. Network like it's your job. Without knowing if you're on moot/mock/LR, I would estimate that you'll get between 12-18 interviews out of OCI. Because you're not top 15%, you'll need to nail those interviews to convert them into callbacks and offers. TM Scholar is enough to get in the door, but you've got to bring it home yourself -- your resume won't do it for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Checking in. Updating as we go.

Market(s): DC, NY
Approximate class rank: Upper GW, top 5%
Law review (Y/N): Yes
Work experience (Y/N): No
IP background (Y/N): No
Anything else that might have an impact?: No
Screening Interviews: NY 7/8; DC 30/35 (20 accepted)
Mass mails: 2
Callbacks received:
Callbacks accepted:
Offers w/vault ranges:
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?
Thank-you notes sent:

Edit Aug 6: Updated for NY/DC screeners.

--Admiral Ackbar--
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Can you elaborate on how the GPA threshold for people interested in IP will be? Thanks!

Here's how biglaw hiring tends to break down: GW Scholars are presumed to get an offer, TM Scholars are 50/50, and non-ranked students are presumed not to get an offer. The presumptions are "rebuttable" in that a few GW Scholars with terrible social skills will strike out, and a few non-ranked students with great networking and interview skills will get offers. These probabilities are affected in a fairly minor way by soft factors like LR/journal, moot court, mock trial, and 1L summer position. If you have a B.S. and want to go into IP, this breakdown changes dramatically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you elaborate on how the GPA threshold for people interested in IP will be? Thanks!
This is V50 alum. Sure thing.

For people with hard sciences degrees, anyone with an honors designation is virtually guaranteed to get biglaw. I'd say the same thing about some students not getting offers if they have terrible social skills, but the bar for human interaction is really low among the engineering types (no offense). Students between 35% and median are also very likely to get biglaw. To be honest, I've never heard of any legit IP student above median not getting biglaw if they wanted it. Below median it gets a little tougher. There, work experience and type of degree become more important.

Generally speaking, practical degrees (engineering, computer science, etc.) are valued more highly than academic degrees (physics, mathematics, etc.), but anything that qualifies you for the firms' IP-only OCI schedule will do the trick. For many firms, you can even see the difference in GPA cutoff between the non-IP and IP schedules. It's usually a 0.2 to 0.4 drop. A few years of experience with a tech company or USPTO will also work wonders regardless of class rank. In sum, only K-JD students below median with less practical degrees will have serious trouble getting biglaw.

I should note that your question was specifically about "people interested in IP." My answer only applies to people with hard sciences degrees who want to do patent law (prosecution, litigation, counseling). If you're an electrical engineer but you want to do securities litigation or corporate M&A, you won't get much of a boost from your degree. If you don't have a B.S. and you're just "interested in IP," you won't get any boost at all. It doesn't take any special skills to handle soft IP matters like copyright or trademark, so you're in the same pool as everyone else who wants to do general biglaw litigation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks a lot for insight!

misanthrope

New

Post by misanthrope » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:05 pm

GULC person here. First of all, good luck to everyone for OCI! I just had an IP firm question; would you mind sharing the interview slots accorded to GW by the following firms (I'm just trying to figure out how many slots are being shared between DC schools):

1. Morrison & Foerster
2. Irell
3. Finnegan
4. Kenyon
5. Knobbe
6. Fish
7. Kirkland (IP Only)
8. Latham (IP Only)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:38 pm

EDIT 8/1: DC posted, updated below
EDIT 8/4: DC alternates posted, updated below
EDIT 8/15: Updating w/ callbacks received. Scary slow
EDIT 9/24: Final post-OCI update

Market(s): DC, NY, one secondary
Approximate class rank: Upper TM, something between 16-20%
Law review (Y/N): N (but secondary journal)
Work experience (Y/N): N
IP background (Y/N): N
Anything else that might have an impact?: good pre-law experiences to discuss during interview
Screening Interviews: NY 10/15, DC 15/35 + 2 alternates
Mass mails: 1 screener--NY (out of 40-50); 0--desirable secondary (out of 40-50)
Callbacks received: 2 NY; 2 DC
Callbacks accepted: 4
Offers w/vault ranges: 2 (both V50-V75)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: only a couple.
Thank-you notes sent: sent none

Also, question: I was selected as an alternate for a couple of firms in NY regional. How likely is it that these will become screening interviews/when should I expect to know if they convert? I just don't want to be caught off guard (I want to get my research done this weekend).

--King of Torts--
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, question: I was selected as an alternate for a couple of firms in NY regional. How likely is it that these will become screening interviews/when should I expect to know if they convert?
V50 alum answering questions here. BTW, glad to keep answering all cycle to the best of my ability.

From personal experience, I can tell you that I had ~8 alternative spots in the various regionals plus D.C., and not a single one converted to an actual interview. That's not to say yours definitely won't, but I think it's somewhat rare.

Two suggestions. First, go early to the interview location and go straight to the firm you got the alternative spot at. Hand over a copy of your resume and explain that you are an alternate but would love to do an interview if there is an opening. I know people who did this on-campus and succeeded. There's a story on TLS about a time when three people lined up at a door in the St. Gregory and the first person who knocked got an interview that day. It's worth trying. Second, mass mail those firms and say in the body of your e-mail something to the effect of "I was selected as an alternate for the New York regional recruiting program. I am still very interested in pursuing a summer associate position with [firm] and would appreciate the opportunity to share more about myself during an interview." You might be able to get an in-office interview or get tacked onto another school's schedule (I know GW students who have done post-schedule interviews at Georgetown).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Results just went up. Did not do well. I'm the above 5/35 DC program, top 20%.

lawsch16

New

Post by lawsch16 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Approximately top 1/3—got 2 screeners, an alternate, and a pending. Fun evening.

EDIT: DC program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:36 pm

So I was able to schedule some preselects. Simplicity says preselect accepted, but my scheduled interviews is showing nothing. Is my time slot somehow in limbo and I'm going to get fucked or what?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:19 pm

I think the increase in class size really fucked some of us over.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”