Summer Associate Q Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Q

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:06 pm

I was just assigned a case to examine a possible cause of action. I've already determined that the statute of limitations clearly bars any possible suit by about 1 year. The client couldn't even avail himself of the "discovery" exception because he's known about it for far long enough.

My question is whether I should approach the partner and tell him this before researching the rest of the cause of action. I worry that if I ask whether I should continue, I'll look lazy. But if I don't ask, I'm worried they'll wonder why I bothered wasting valuable company time. Should I approach the partner now?

badaboom61

Bronze

Re: Summer Associate Q

Post by badaboom61 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Yes, send the partner an email about it and ask if they want you to keep exploring the cause of action. In the meantime, keep working on the assignment. If they tell you to stop, then stop.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:29 pm

If the SOL argument is a slam dunk then it'd be silly to keep researching the merits

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 pm

Danger Zone wrote:If the SOL argument is a slam dunk then it'd be silly to keep researching the merits
Agree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”