Entry level jobs requiring experience Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Entry level jobs requiring experience

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm

How do you guys get hired for entry/associate level jobs when even they require experience? It's beyond infuriating that an entry level position requires experience. I of course apply and never hear back.

I had to work summer in law school so couldn't get firm experience. I've tried volunteering and never hear back either.

minnbills

Gold

Re: Entry level jobs requiring experience

Post by minnbills » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:36 pm

You can thank the baby boomers for that bullshit.

Try volunteering for legal aid or other PI orgs, internships, etc.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you guys get hired for entry/associate level jobs when even they require experience? It's beyond infuriating that an entry level position requires experience. I of course apply and never hear back.

I had to work summer in law school so couldn't get firm experience. I've tried volunteering and never hear back either.
Why are you anonymous? Who the hell is going to identify you based on vague complaints about modern job application requirements?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:57 pm

ymmv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you guys get hired for entry/associate level jobs when even they require experience? It's beyond infuriating that an entry level position requires experience. I of course apply and never hear back.

Why are you anonymous? Who the hell is going to identify you based on vague complaints about modern job application requirements?
im close to taking my own life, and am paranoid at this point

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 pm

ymmv wrote:

Dude, if you have a problem with anon, report it, don't clog up the thread. And when someone's talking about their own job circumstances anon is perfectly appropriate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 pm

minnbills wrote:You can thank the baby boomers for that bullshit.

any ideas on getting wills/trusts/probate experience specifically?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ymmv wrote:

wait, what?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ymmv wrote:

wait, what?
4+ years w/o job, sick of writing cover letters and tailoring resumes without hearing back, cant even volunteer. this is a last ditch effort.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:14 pm

You had to work so you couldn't do legal work (like most people do)? Doing legal work in the summers is pretty standard. Nevertheless, it's hard for everyone who graduates without a job, so I wouldn't read so much into why you're getting dinged.

Does your school have funded fellowships for the jobless? Continuing to find unpaid legal work is probably your best bet, given the market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:im close to taking my own life, and am paranoid at this point
wait, what?
4+ years w/o job, sick of writing cover letters and tailoring resumes without hearing back, cant even volunteer. this is a last ditch effort.
Have you considered a different field?

There's plenty of opportunities out there, if you're willing to adjust your expectations

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Seek help. Call this place 1-800-273-TALK . You're not alone at all. Many many of us are in the same situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:37 pm

guano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:im close to taking my own life, and am paranoid at this point
wait, what?

There's plenty of opportunities out there, if you're willing to adjust your expectations
yes, even went and got a masters so i could get into consulting.

girlinlaw8

New

Post by girlinlaw8 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
minnbills wrote:You can thank the baby boomers for that bullshit.

any ideas on getting wills/trusts/probate experience specifically?
Have you considered looking into trust administration/trust officer positions? There are a lot of local banks, at least in my market, who are trying to build their trust departments to meet demand. Something to look into if you're interested in estate planning.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
guano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:4+ years w/o job, sick of writing cover letters and tailoring resumes without hearing back, cant even volunteer. this is a last ditch effort.

yes, even went and got a masters so i could get into consulting.
Try looking on craigslist... plenty of job listings there, and some of them could have real potential.
Look, maybe you didn't get your first choice career, or second choice, but there are lots and lots of careers you don't even know about. Go on craigslist, monster, or whatever, take a job you're overqualified for, but where you can see some potential down the line, prove that you deserve to get promoted over the zombie who's been there for 10 years, and who knows where you might end up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:34 pm

OP, I can emphasize to an extent. I started out in a really niche area and am now trying desperately to transition out of it to get broader experience. I am also not making a lot, which contributes to a lot of frustration for me. I sincerely regret starting out so focused because it severely limited what firms will even look at me and, even though I have almost three years of practice, it doesn't seem to make a difference because most posts of there want experience in the field whether it be RE, lit, M&A, corp, etc. And I have nothing of the sort. I've been looking for a year and it has not been enjoyable to any extent. I feel like I am grasping at straws and BSing my way cover letter to cover letter.

I hope you keep your head up as much as you can. I've tried Craigslist and Monster as another poster suggested.... I'm planning to attend a lot more networking events, as I've heard that's better than applying to things online that everyone else applies to. But I dunno; I'm yet to see the benefit of networking just yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”