Internship with Homeland Security Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Internship with Homeland Security

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Boom goes the dynamite.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nog

New

Re: Internship with Homeland Security

Post by nog » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Don't worry too much: 1L summer interns aren't expected to know much about the correct formats for memos, briefs, etc, nor much about the law, for that matter. Supervising attorneys will likely understand that you have only taken basic 1L classes and so haven't taken admin or immigration law. (Besides, those subjects are confusing and difficult even for practicing attorneys! )

It sounds like you're doing the right thing by asking questions at the outset and during your assignments. One thing I would add, though, is to make sure to get feedback on your work product after you submit it. This might require pestering, as attorneys are busy people, but you will probably learn the most by getting attorneys' honest feedback on what you're doing wrong and how you can fix it.

Short version: everyone feels like this as a 1L summer intern. Don't worry about it and just focus on trying to learn as much as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:46 pm

sup.. u might want to delete this soon. i dont think this is really an anon post. good luck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:50 pm

It sounds like you're working at ICE. I worked there during one of my summers during undergrad. It's not unusual to feel out of the loop, especially in writing briefs or other assignments for attorneys, knowing 212/202/etc laws, and the like. As mentioned above, be sure to go to the supervising attorneys for assignment questions and even if they seem to brush you off (which they shouldn't), a lot of admin people in the office are also valuable resources.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sup.. u might want to delete this soon. i dont think this is really an anon post. good luck
Won't matter. Did you see who his employer is? They can check the logged internet records in a heartbeat, pinpoint which computer made the post, and boom, he's going to Guantanamo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:sup.. u might want to delete this soon. i dont think this is really an anon post. good luck
Won't matter. Did you see who his employer is? They can check the logged internet records in a heartbeat, pinpoint which computer made the post, and boom, he's going to Guantanamo.
True.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”