Inquiring About Practice Group Change Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Inquiring About Practice Group Change

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:20 pm

I'm clerking for the next year and then returning to my 2L SA firm. However, I was slated to join a particular practice group, and a key partner in the group recently left the firm. My place in this group was based, in part, on the partner being there. The firm appears to be shuffling around the associates to reflect the new practice group dynamics, and my observations of the shuffle leads me to believe I would either have to move offices to stay in the group or join another group in 2015.

I'm actually quite interested in joining another group, and I thought this could be a good opportunity to reach out to the firm about the change. Does it make sense to go ahead and reach out, even though I'm not joining the firm for another year? I'm concerned about waiting too long to inquire about it. The firm could hire someone else for the group I'm interested in, or the leadership could move a current associate over. At the same time, I'm still a pretty far away from joining the firm, and I'm not sure whether it's too early to ask about it now. Thoughts?

DELG

Gold

Re: Inquiring About Practice Group Change

Post by DELG » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Did you have a partner mentor or assigning partner as a summer, or otherwise a partner who might informally shine some light on how receptive your preferred group would be?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for responding.

One of the partners in the group gave me advice when I was going through the clerkship process, so I suppose I could reach out. However, my concern is not limited to whether the group would be receptive to my joining. I'm also interested in confirming my observation about my place in my current group, or lack thereof. That's why I thought it would be good to go through the folks in recruiting who handle practice group placements and who have answered new associate questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Are there any ethical issues with this? Maybe I'm particularly cautious, but I would double-check, at the least.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for responding.

One of the partners in the group gave me advice when I was going through the clerkship process, so I suppose I could reach out. However, my concern is not limited to whether the group would be receptive to my joining. I'm also interested in confirming my observation about my place in my current group, or lack thereof. That's why I thought it would be good to go through the folks in recruiting who handle practice group placements and who have answered new associate questions.
I don't think there's a harm in either approach. But I would imagine if you broached the subject with the partner you have a relationship with, he would give you guidance either way. Though if you're studying for the bar, I would wait until you've taken it, to not create the impression you're not focused.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:09 pm

DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for responding.

I don't think there's a harm in either approach. But I would imagine if you broached the subject with the partner you have a relationship with, he would give you guidance either way. Though if you're studying for the bar, I would wait until you've taken it, to not create the impression you're not focused.
Good point. Thanks for the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”