LA Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1784
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Yukos » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you pretty much out of luck at Munger w/o law review (assuming top grades at a top school)?


This was discussed at length a couple pages back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:23 pm

How is facetime at Gibson?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Yukos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you pretty much out of luck at Munger w/o law review (assuming top grades at a top school)?


This was discussed at length a couple pages back.


Chill, thanks

fruitlobber
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:33 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby fruitlobber » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yukos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you pretty much out of luck at Munger w/o law review (assuming top grades at a top school)?


This was discussed at length a couple pages back.


Chill, thanks


Autoding at Munger

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:35 pm

fruitlobber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yukos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you pretty much out of luck at Munger w/o law review (assuming top grades at a top school)?


This was discussed at length a couple pages back.


Chill, thanks


Autoding at Munger


You're probably right. Leaning Latham.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^I'm really into both, if I had to pick a preference I'd say litigation. My gpa prob puts me between 30-40 percent, im pretty confident its more towards 30.


No GDC? I think they have a large class and I think (although I'm not 100% sure) that 30ish percent should be decent for UCLA/USC.


Unless you are pretty awesome for other reasons, GDC is going to want to see top 20% at least, if not much higher, for USC/UCLA. It's one of the more, if not most, desirable landing spots in LA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^I'm really into both, if I had to pick a preference I'd say litigation. My gpa prob puts me between 30-40 percent, im pretty confident its more towards 30.


No GDC? I think they have a large class and I think (although I'm not 100% sure) that 30ish percent should be decent for UCLA/USC.


Unless you are pretty awesome for other reasons, GDC is going to want to see top 20% at least, if not much higher, for USC/UCLA. It's one of the more, if not most, desirable landing spots in LA.


Any reason to chose Latham over Gibson (aside from liking the people/culture more at Latham)? Interested in transactional.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Anyone know if Gibson still no-offers people for 2L grades?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Gibson still no-offers people for 2L grades?


How much lower would 2L grades have to be?

fruitlobber
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:33 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby fruitlobber » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Gibson still no-offers people for 2L grades?


How much lower would 2L grades have to be?


Dude I'm asking the question. How the fuck would I know? Think before you post.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:47 pm

fruitlobber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Gibson still no-offers people for 2L grades?


How much lower would 2L grades have to be?


Dude I'm asking the question. How the fuck would I know? Think before you post.


I was wondering if anyone else knew. Perhaps if someone knew the answer to your question they may know the answer to mine. This is the internet bro...no need to get all excitable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:48 pm

I don't work there, but my friend who does, suggested you are safe unless you drop roughly 10% below their hiring cut off. Who knows what that is. Don't quote me on this, it's hearsay.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^I'm really into both, if I had to pick a preference I'd say litigation. My gpa prob puts me between 30-40 percent, im pretty confident its more towards 30.


No GDC? I think they have a large class and I think (although I'm not 100% sure) that 30ish percent should be decent for UCLA/USC.


Unless you are pretty awesome for other reasons, GDC is going to want to see top 20% at least, if not much higher, for USC/UCLA. It's one of the more, if not most, desirable landing spots in LA.


Any reason to chose Latham over Gibson (aside from liking the people/culture more at Latham)? Interested in transactional.


Because they are considered the better transactional firm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:34 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
Because they are considered the better transactional firm?


Thanks for your reply. Is this pretty well-known that Latham is considered better for transactional? I'm mainly concerned with exit-options into in-house positions. Thanks again.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
Because they are considered the better transactional firm?


Thanks for your reply. Is this pretty well-known that Latham is considered better for transactional? I'm mainly concerned with exit-options into in-house positions. Thanks again.


Although I don't do transactional work and I'm with a different LA firm, I get the impression that Latham and Gibson are peer firms for transactional work and that, unless you have specific practice areas that one firm or the other excels at, structural/cultural differences will be much more important for choosing between the two as a summer.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
Because they are considered the better transactional firm?


Thanks for your reply. Is this pretty well-known that Latham is considered better for transactional? I'm mainly concerned with exit-options into in-house positions. Thanks again.


Although I don't do transactional work and I'm with a different LA firm, I get the impression that Latham and Gibson are peer firms for transactional work and that, unless you have specific practice areas that one firm or the other excels at, structural/cultural differences will be much more important for choosing between the two as a summer.


While I still think Latham is better overall for transactional work, I would agree with the overall sentiment (such as the ones you listed) should determine which firm a person chooses if lucky enough to receive an offer from both.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:13 pm

fruitlobber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Gibson still no-offers people for 2L grades?


How much lower would 2L grades have to be?


Dude I'm asking the question. How the fuck would I know? Think before you post.


If you're no offered it won't be because you got median in some of your 2L classes. It'll be because you have an abrasive personality and no one likes you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Any thoughts as to where median URM (Asian)/female at CCN with strong ties to LA should be aiming? I'm doing a 1L SA at a major market biglaw firm so can talk reasonably intelligently about why lit and maybe why some areas within it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
fruitlobber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Gibson still no-offers people for 2L grades?


How much lower would 2L grades have to be?


Dude I'm asking the question. How the fuck would I know? Think before you post.


If you're no offered it won't be because you got median in some of your 2L classes. It'll be because you have an abrasive personality and no one likes you.



This. My impression is that your 2L grades would need to be drastically lower for this to be an issue, which is unlikely if you are the kind of person who earned the grades to get an offer from GDC in the first place. GDC is grade selective up front, and then just cares about whether you are a likeable person who turns in assignments on time. The no offer is not common when you go to top firms, at least in LA. Be a normal person with general common sense and social skills (it's ok to be awkward/shy/whatever, just don't be a blatant idiot getting drunk at all the firm events (unless you're at Latham because it's legit ok there) or bringing your one night stand as a plus one) and you will get an offer.

Also, credit to the person saying that an offer from GDC does not equal offers across the board from MTO/Irell/QE. The culture differences between these firms are HUGE. Definitely know people who got offers at one or two, not all (but there is the occasional person who gets offers from all - they are really smart/nerdy, yet also super cool). People pick between them for all different reasons, they each have pluses and downsides, and if you know what practice area you are interested in, you can narrow it down a lot. For me, downsides at GDC were just minimal to non-existent. It's like splitting hairs at this level.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2331
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ou're at Latham because it's legit ok there) or bringing your one night stand as a plus one) and you will get an offer.

Also, credit to the person saying that an offer from GDC does not equal offers across the board from MTO/Irell/QE. The culture differences between these firms are HUGE. Definitely know people who got offers at one or two, not all (but there is the occasional person who gets offers from all - they are really smart/nerdy, yet also super cool). People pick between them for all different reasons, they each have pluses and downsides, and if you know what practice area you are interested in, you can narrow it down a lot. For me, downsides at GDC were just minimal to non-existent. It's like splitting hairs at this level.


Can you be more specific about the culture differences between those specific firms. If you're not comfortable saying on here you can pm me?

Luein
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:01 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Luein » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Would also appreciate that PM.

User avatar
Sgt Pepper
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Sgt Pepper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Luein wrote:Would also appreciate that PM.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts as to where median URM (Asian)/female at CCN with strong ties to LA should be aiming? I'm doing a 1L SA at a major market biglaw firm so can talk reasonably intelligently about why lit and maybe why some areas within it.


Paul Hastings, OMM, K&E? Don't think the URM will be too much of a boost in LA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Anyone have any intel on Proskauer Rose's Century City office, or the firm in general?

I know they have strong transactional and litigation groups, but was wondering if anyone has any knowledge regarding the culture, work-life balance, or anything else that would be relevant.

I have a big wig partner at another one of their other offices in contact with the LA office recruiters and was told that I will be having a callback style interview right off the bat rather than a screener. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LA Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on Kirkland and Skadden LA?

I loved Kirkland LA when I visited. By far my favorite people at any law firm in any office. They are very very very heavily staffed on the corporate side and there is almost no litigation work that comes through that office. The office is also beautiful. I'm sure you work hard but I know for a fact that they bill far fewer hours than Kirkland in New York. I think the biggest indicator for them is personality fit. Grade distributions at MVP were around median but they only gave a few callbacks and a one offer at my school. I know the people that interviewed there and the people who got callbacks s those who didn't really hedged on personality. If you're outgoing and can actually hold a conversation for a long period of time withotu saying something stupid, and its something that a lot of people, including myself, struggle to do, you have a great shot.


Kirkland LA has a pretty great litigation practice; not sure why you say there is almost no litigation work.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.