3.43 Bidding Strategy Duke (overall job strategy) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.43 Bidding Strategy Duke (overall job strategy)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Median is 3.3. I calculated it online, assuming that 4.3 (highest grade) is distributed to at most 5% (as stipulated on the online student guide), my class rank is top 40%.

Uh so what should my bidding strategy be for this upcoming OCI?

I mean I honestly want a pretty conservative strategy and my intuition tells me I'm not out of the running but it ain't gonna be no cakewalk. I'm definitely going to mass mail like a madman (so no need to tell me that) and going to practice my interview skills.

I got pretty solid ties to NJ and Miami as secondary markets and I know people tell me that your 1L job is pretty useless in terms of interviewing but I got a pretty well known international law firm (so idk if that would give me a slight bump).

Do I got a chance for a V100 firm? Should I post up my secondary market ties really high in my bid list just as a safety (i.e. Lowenstein Sandler NJ Firm 140k starting, etc.)

Journals haven't come out yet but I would assume if I got DLJ I'm definitely going to get BigLaw at least and a secondary journal doesn't hurt.

So are the V100 firms out of the picture or would it make sense to bid on them? I'm asking you TLS whether I got a shot!!!

Anonymous User

Re: 3.43 Bidding Strategy Duke (overall job strategy)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Journals haven't come out yet but I would assume if I got DLJ I'm definitely going to get BigLaw at least and a secondary journal doesn't hurt.
I wouldn't "assume" that at all, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I would bid NY almost exclusively unless you really really want either a NJ or Miami job, which I'm not getting from your post. Put lower v100s higher, but toss some reaches in there as well. In the past I've seen higher ranked firms give out CBs to students close to median because many self-selected themselves out of consideration.

Are you K-JD?

I'd save Miami/NJ markets for mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Journals haven't come out yet but I would assume if I got DLJ I'm definitely going to get BigLaw at least and a secondary journal doesn't hurt.
I wouldn't "assume" that at all, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I would bid NY almost exclusively unless you really really want either a NJ or Miami job, which I'm not getting from your post. Put lower v100s higher, but toss some reaches in there as well. In the past I've seen higher ranked firms give out CBs to students close to median because many self-selected themselves out of consideration.

Are you K-JD?

I'd save Miami/NJ markets for mass mailing.
I have some WE but really nothing significant for like a year in between undergrad and law school.

I'm looking pretty closely to Linklaters, Freshfields, Clifford Chance, and Allen & Overy since they're international and my 1L summer job might help with that. Anyone have any input as to whether its worth bidding on them or am I being too ambitious?

brazleton

Bronze

Post by brazleton » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 am

Last edited by brazleton on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 am

NOTE: Vault doesn't correlate well to selectivity

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:31 am

rad lulz wrote:NOTE: Vault doesn't correlate well to selectivity
I've realized that rather recently. Is there anyway you recommend to determine the selectivity of firms? I can think of maybe looking at my CSO stats (idk how accurate they are)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”