2014 University of Virginia OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Do you have an offer?

Yup.
58%
No, I'm mass-mailing.
42%

Total votes: 24

sundance95

Gold

Re: 2014 University of Virginia OGI Thread

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone on grounds happen to know what the VLR GPA cutoff ended up being? An employer was curious to know my estimated rank, and I was trying to see if the cutoff has edged up like people had suggested. (I am trying to use the LSN calculator)
I don't know what the cutoff ended up being, but I would imagine that the higher grades from the new curve would be largely counteracted by the smaller class size. 25 people out of 360 is ~7%, whereas 25 people out of 330 is ~7.5%.
Word, this should have a much stronger effect than marginal inflation of one 1L elective

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 am

It's a shame you've got to be back in C-ville on the 6th to do the line leader thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone on grounds happen to know what the VLR GPA cutoff ended up being? An employer was curious to know my estimated rank, and I was trying to see if the cutoff has edged up like people had suggested. (I am trying to use the LSN calculator)
I can run by today and check on the door if they have it posted.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I can run by today and check on the door if they have it posted.
Wouldn't it also matter if they take the write-ons first and then the grade-ons? If someone wrote-on who would have graded-on, then if write-ons are taken first his/her top grade would be taken out of the grade-on pile and the 26th highest grade would grade-on, and the cutoff wouldn't necessarily signal the grades for the top 25 students.

All they say are that the top 25 grades and the top 15 write-ons are in, but there could be overlap between those.

If grade ons are taken first, nevermind the above.

feelingood16

New

Post by feelingood16 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Wouldn't it also matter if they take the write-ons first and then the grade-ons? If someone wrote-on who would have graded-on, then if write-ons are taken first his/her top grade would be taken out of the grade-on pile and the 26th highest grade would grade-on, and the cutoff wouldn't necessarily signal the grades for the top 25 students.

All they say are that the top 25 grades and the top 15 write-ons are in, but there could be overlap between those.

Someone in the know told me that they take the 25 grade-ons first, remove any grade-ons from the write-on pile, and then take the remaining top write-ons.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm

feelingood16 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Wouldn't it also matter if they take the write-ons first and then the grade-ons? If someone wrote-on who would have graded-on, then if write-ons are taken first his/her top grade would be taken out of the grade-on pile and the 26th highest grade would grade-on, and the cutoff wouldn't necessarily signal the grades for the top 25 students.

Someone in the know told me that they take the 25 grade-ons first, remove any grade-ons from the write-on pile, and then take the remaining top write-ons.
As a VLR managing board alum, I can confirm that this is correct. Thus, there will always be 40 new members + any Virginia plan members + anyone who deferred joining for a year (typically JD/MBA defer while they do their MBA first year).

LadyMary

New

Post by LadyMary » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:37 pm

North wrote:It's a shame you've got to be back in C-ville on the 6th to do the line leader thing.
Agreed. I'm surprised there is training at all. Seems pretty straightforward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:06 pm

So I got an e-mail from KD today. A firm that didn't pre-select or alternate me added me to their list at the last minute. Anyone ever hear of something like that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I got an e-mail from KD today. A firm that didn't pre-select or alternate me added me to their list at the last minute. Anyone ever hear of something like that?
I had that happen too. Its because not enough of that firm's preselects/alternates accepted the slot. I decided it was worth it to take it - at least you know you're sort of in the running vs. getting a firm from lottery.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I got an e-mail from KD today. A firm that didn't pre-select or alternate me added me to their list at the last minute. Anyone ever hear of something like that?
I had that happen too. Its because not enough of that firm's preselects/alternates accepted the slot. I decided it was worth it to take it - at least you know you're sort of in the running vs. getting a firm from lottery.
I've been on the other side, where KD emails asking to accept a pre-select/alt that was originally declined because there are not enough pre-selects/alts to fill the room. I'd imagine it happens when firms think they are more selective than they actually are (i.e. only pre-selecting law review people, but then being the popular preselect to decline among LR when they have over 23 interviews)

LadyMary

New

Post by LadyMary » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:11 am

Scheduled interviews are up

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36 am

anyone have any info on the grade floors for these firms (all nyc)? Are they willing to go below median (3.29)?
sidley austin, cadwalader, milbank, jones day, wilkie farr, wilmerhale

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:39 am

Median, K-JD; targeting two secondaries and NY as backup. All interviews are in a targeted secondary unless specified in parentheses.

PS offered/accepted: 10 (3 NY)/9 (3 NY)
Alts offered/accepted/scheduled: 8 (4 NY, 1 HOU)/7 (4 NY, 1 HOU)/5 (4 NY)
Lottery: 7 (4 NY, 1 HOU)
Total Interviews: 21 (11 NY, 1 HOU)

I declined a PS and an alt and canceled 3 bids before the lottery b/c of job fair interviews: 16 (1 DC). Also, the alternates may have been scheduled through the lottery, but I labeled them as above for convenience.

Between job fairs and OGI, I have 17 of my top 20 firms; only missing #s 5, 17, 18, and 20. I bid very aggressively too FWIW. I'm also missing only 1 firm out of all the firms in both secondary markets I was aiming for (between OGI/job fairs).

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone have any info on the grade floors for these firms (all nyc)? Are they willing to go below median (3.29)?
sidley austin, cadwalader, milbank, jones day, wilkie farr, wilmerhale
Ask KD? He'll have the actual numbers. BUT Does it really matter at this point? If you have interviews, just assume every firm is interested in you.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:14 am

There is no point at all to these posts asking the "what are my chances at X firms with Y gpa?"

Y'all: This isn't law school admissions. There's no "3.x + 17x = UVA ED autoadmit" formula for firm hiring.

You have a chance in every interview. Your efforts now should be focused on developing (or hopefully, polishing) your narratives and hooks for your interview with each firm. This requires understanding your strengths and how to relate them to each firm's practice areas and needs.

Anything else is a total waste of energy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:47 am

Well, here we go. 18 PS (17 accepted), 5 alts, and 1 lottery for a full 23 interviews. Good luck.

Been mock interviewing like crazy, so hopefully that will pay off.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CvilleRunner

New

Post by CvilleRunner » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:50 am

Does anyone know when we get a list of hospitality suites and such? Any advice regarding hospitality suites would be welcome since they seem awkward to me?

Also, is it typical for my interview schedule very front-loaded? I have all my interviews the first week.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:54 am

CvilleRunner wrote:Does anyone know when we get a list of hospitality suites and such? Any advice regarding hospitality suites would be welcome since they seem awkward to me?

Also, is it typical for my interview schedule very front-loaded? I have all my interviews the first week.
Mine shakes out pretty much the same. I have two interviews the second week, but I think I have 7 or 8 interviews on the 12th.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:29 am

First Offense wrote:
CvilleRunner wrote:Does anyone know when we get a list of hospitality suites and such? Any advice regarding hospitality suites would be welcome since they seem awkward to me?

Mine shakes out pretty much the same. I have two interviews the second week, but I think I have 7 or 8 interviews on the 12th.
Most of the firms are coming during the first week - I think there are only three OGI days the second week (Monday and Tuesday are 1L orientation days)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:52 am

Total of 15 interviews, split between NY and DC.
I can't complain because I think that gives me a great shot at producing a (some!?) call backs, but it does seem a little on the low side?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:3.51
Total of 15 interviews, split between NY and DC.
I can't complain because I think that gives me a great shot at producing a (some!?) call backs, but it does seem a little on the low side?
Other than mass mailing, there's not a ton you can do now (beyond special requests). Practice interviewing - you only need one offer to make it all worth it.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:17 am

This might be a derpy question. I have some scheduled interviews from firms that listed me as an alternate. Does that mean it switched to a preselect? It still says "alternate accepted" on the regular bidding page. Or is that the other kid's interview time that I should be prepared to go to if he bails?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:19 am

North wrote:This might be a derpy question. I have some scheduled interviews from firms that listed me as an alternate. Does that mean it switched to a preselect? It still says "alternate accepted" on the regular bidding page. Or is that the other kid's interview time that I should be prepared to go to if he bails?
There's a schedule tab that will tell you exactly what interviews you have. I think, beyond special requests, it's set in stone now.

Alternates are for when someone rejects a firm's pre-select, you're next in line, before they run the lottery. But yeah, just check out the schedule tab to find out what you have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:21 am

sundance95 wrote:There is no point at all to these posts asking the "what are my chances at X firms with Y gpa?"

Y'all: This isn't law school admissions. There's no "3.x + 17x = UVA ED autoadmit" formula for firm hiring.

You have a chance in every interview. Your efforts now should be focused on developing (or hopefully, polishing) your narratives and hooks for your interview with each firm. This requires understanding your strengths and how to relate them to each firm's practice areas and needs.

Anything else is a total waste of energy.
This is correct. Having worked at a firm for two years, I've noticed that interviewers and members of the hiring committee evaluate candidates completely differently. Some will never give the candidates' credentials a second thought after they're selected for an interview, and will hire the candidates who make the strongest impression. Others just use the interviews to weed out the shy and awkward candidates and then hire based on credentials. Most fall somewhere in between. Some think a journal is a big deal; others couldn't care less. Some think grades stop mattering after a candidate is median or top third or whatever; others will always care about grades. The OGI interviewers and the hiring committee members rotate frequently, so it's nearly impossible to glean anything useful from looking at a firm's past trends. If there's one trend I've noticed, it's that candidates who make an exceptionally strong impression (maybe 10% of the interviews I've seen) usually fare well. Focus on developing strong answers and delivering them with confidence, learn about the firms and law practice in general (e.g. don't go into OGI thinking litigation means drafting appellate briefs), and think of thoughtful questions to ask.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”