2014 University of Virginia OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Do you have an offer?

Yup.
58%
No, I'm mass-mailing.
42%

Total votes: 24

Yardbird

Silver

Re: 2014 University of Virginia OGI Thread

Post by Yardbird » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:01 pm

First Offense wrote:
hoorahray wrote:
First Offense wrote:I accepted a pre-select accidentally that I don't want, and don't see how to change it on simplicity. Any help?
I believe you are stuck with them. You can contact Career Services to confirm, but I do not recall here being a way to undo it
Meh - guess it'll be a practice interview.
If it's a firm you know you don't want, you should really contact CSO. They can override your acceptance of the pre-select (they have done this in past years) and someone with an alternate can get that interview. I know practice for interviews is great and all...but if you're in a position to be declining pre-selects, keep in mind that one interview you can decline might be what the alternate needs. Just my 2 cents.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:47 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:
hoorahray wrote:
First Offense wrote:I accepted a pre-select accidentally that I don't want, and don't see how to change it on simplicity. Any help?
I believe you are stuck with them. You can contact Career Services to confirm, but I do not recall here being a way to undo it
Meh - guess it'll be a practice interview.
If it's a firm you know you don't want, you should really contact CSO. They can override your acceptance of the pre-select (they have done this in past years) and someone with an alternate can get that interview. I know practice for interviews is great and all...but if you're in a position to be declining pre-selects, keep in mind that one interview you can decline might be what the alternate needs. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. I highly doubt that CSO couldn't step in with 2 days to go before the acceptance deadline and fix a mistake like that. It's in your best interest to go do an interview with a firm you're more interested in and it will benefit an alternate.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:12 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:
Agreed. I highly doubt that CSO couldn't step in with 2 days to go before the acceptance deadline and fix a mistake like that. It's in your best interest to go do an interview with a firm you're more interested in and it will benefit an alternate.
Honestly - I didn't even think of that. E-mail sent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:19 pm

If I already have a great V15 offer that I'm happy with, any disadvantage to declining a bunch of pre-selects and going full-tilt into the lotto to try and grab reach-ish firms? I've heard that you only know if a firm is right for you after talking with the people, but I can't imagine small office V100s/satellite offices etc. being better for me than this firm.

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I already have a great V15 offer that I'm happy with, any disadvantage to declining a bunch of pre-selects and going full-tilt into the lotto to try and grab reach-ish firms? I've heard that you only know if a firm is right for you after talking with the people, but I can't imagine small office V100s/satellite offices etc. being better for me than this firm.
If you already have an offer you are happy with then why take interviews you wouldn't consider? Be a bro to your fellow classmates and decline interviews you wouldn't consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Trout et al wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I already have a great V15 offer that I'm happy with, any disadvantage to declining a bunch of pre-selects and going full-tilt into the lotto to try and grab reach-ish firms? I've heard that you only know if a firm is right for you after talking with the people, but I can't imagine small office V100s/satellite offices etc. being better for me than this firm.
If you already have an offer you are happy with then why take interviews you wouldn't consider? Be a bro to your fellow classmates and decline interviews you wouldn't consider.
This, please

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Trout et al wrote:
I guess my question is, can I fairly assume I wouldn't take a firm over the offer I have just by looking at their website/doing research (i.e. not talking to anyone from the firm?)

I've already declined a lot, so I'm not trying to hoard pre-selects by any means. There are just a few maybe close ones that I THINK I wouldn't take over my offer, but that is just based off stuff written on this site/their website/chambers etc.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Trout et al wrote:
I guess my question is, can I fairly assume I wouldn't take a firm over the offer I have just by looking at their website/doing research (i.e. not talking to anyone from the firm?)

I've already declined a lot, so I'm not trying to hoard pre-selects by any means. There are just a few maybe close ones that I THINK I wouldn't take over my offer, but that is just based off stuff written on this site/their website/chambers etc.
Then you should try to talk to someone tomorrow at that firm (or others) to see if it might be somewhere you want to work. If you're really unsure, then keep the interviews. You should only decline an interview if you know for sure (1) you won't work there, or (2) you already have an interview with that firm (advice I've heard from 2Ls and CSO)

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:57 pm

the answer is going to depend on how strong your inclinations against a given firm are. if they're really strong (e.g. your friend at that firm in the practice area you want to work in hates it for reasons other than "biglaw suuux"; your current offer is in a city you would much rather work in than the office you're looking to decline; or you have a very genuine and at least mildly informed interest in a practice group this firm does not have but your V15 does) decline confidently. even if your experience during interviews goes as well as it could, those priors are probably going to dissuade you from giving the good vibes from the callback process the benefit of the doubt. pass those interviews down the ladder, you benevolent soul you.

but if they're pretty weak or unquantifiable, you shouldn't decline a preselect for them (e.g. your friend at that firm hates it because of the hours or other qualities that aren't different firm to firm; or you read that the firm is frattier than you consider yourself to be; or man this partner to associate ratio in this group seems unfavorable for god knows what reason). these are the kinds of things callbacks can override, so cling to those preselects all else equal and don't feel guilty about it. the variance within any given firm across different groups or partners makes this type of intel a weak proxy for your likely future experience.

other than layoffs, practice groups, or offer rates, i'm having a hard time coming up with anything i could read online about a firm that would dissuade me from considering them today because pretty much everything online turns out to be vapid bullshit. but ymmv

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:47 am

How would we be notified if alts turn into preselects? An email? Or keep checking symplicity?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 am

Br3v wrote:How would we be notified if alts turn into preselects? An email? Or keep checking symplicity?
In past years KD emailed after the PS/alt accept period ended. This year things seem to be different; alt conversions might be silent unless they knock off a preselect. Final schedules will be up after 8/2 though, so it's just a short wait.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
Br3v wrote:How would we be notified if alts turn into preselects? An email? Or keep checking symplicity?
In past years KD emailed after the PS/alt accept period ended. This year things seem to be different; alt conversions might be silent unless they knock off a preselect. Final schedules will be up after 8/2 though, so it's just a short wait.
I emailed OCS last night about this. Donovan said that we find out when the lottery interviews are posted on Saturday (the 2nd) and that it'll show up in Symplicity. My understanding was that you won't get an email UNLESS the alternate that becomes a preselect takes you over 23 interviews. Hope that helps!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:37 am

Question:

Charlotte and ATL are my top choice markets. I ended up getting preselected at a bunch of ATL firms and just one Charlotte firm. However, because of my GPA (smidge below median), I expected the preselects to come from Charlotte. So, I ranked ATL firms above Charlotte firms for the lottery hoping to add a few ATL firms to what I expected to be a Charlotte-heavy OGI.

Problem is that ATL is a reach for my GPA and a bloodbath in general. Now I'm afraid the lottery is going to pile on more ATL firms to my interview list, putting me in danger of a big OGI strike out.

Can OCS re-rank the Charlotte firms to the top of my bid list? Or am I stuck? (Or am I wrong in thinking that lottery winnings come from essentially #1-#10 on your bid list?)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
I emailed OCS last night about this. Donovan said that we find out when the lottery interviews are posted on Saturday (the 2nd) and that it'll show up in Symplicity. My understanding was that you won't get an email UNLESS the alternate that becomes a preselect takes you over 23 interviews. Hope that helps!
I guess the bigger question is whether we'll know if an interview is an alternate that converted or a lottery. =\

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
I guess the bigger question is whether we'll know if an interview is an alternate that converted or a lottery. =\
I was thinking this, but decided it doesn't really matter. The firm chose you as an alternate, so weather you and up getting the interview through the lottery or otherwise doesn't matter

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:48 am

Br3v wrote:I was thinking this, but decided it doesn't really matter. The firm chose you as an alternate, so weather you and up getting the interview through the lottery or otherwise doesn't matter
It doesn't matter because you should treat every single interview with the same level of seriousness, regardless of whether it was a lottery or an alternate or a preselect. Preselects aren't guaranteed callbacks and you get lottery interviews for a reason: because people get jobs that way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question:

Charlotte and ATL are my top choice markets. I ended up getting preselected at a bunch of ATL firms and just one Charlotte firm. However, because of my GPA (smidge below median), I expected the preselects to come from Charlotte. So, I ranked ATL firms above Charlotte firms for the lottery hoping to add a few ATL firms to what I expected to be a Charlotte-heavy OGI.

Problem is that ATL is a reach for my GPA and a bloodbath in general. Now I'm afraid the lottery is going to pile on more ATL firms to my interview list, putting me in danger of a big OGI strike out.

Can OCS re-rank the Charlotte firms to the top of my bid list? Or am I stuck? (Or am I wrong in thinking that lottery winnings come from essentially #1-#10 on your bid list?)
I can't imagine OCS would let you re-rank, I'm sure everyone would re-rank if they were given the chance. Just special request some Charlotte firms if you are worried about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:01 am

Does anyone know anything at all about the State Dept. interviews at the public service OGI? (Are they interviewing 10 people or 100 people?? Does getting a preselect there actually mean anything?!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I can't imagine OCS would let you re-rank, I'm sure everyone would re-rank if they were given the chance. Just special request some Charlotte firms if you are worried about it.
This. I found out the day after bids were due that I got an interview with my number 1 bid through a job fair. I asked OCS if they could drop it to the bottom of my list/switch it with my number 2 and they said it wasn't possible, but that it would help me get my number 2 since they could override the number 1 pick in the lottery (so I wouldn't have a #1 pick, but my #2 gets more weight).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This. I found out the day after bids were due that I got an interview with my number 1 bid through a job fair. I asked OCS if they could drop it to the bottom of my list/switch it with my number 2 and they said it wasn't possible, but that it would help me get my number 2 since they could override the number 1 pick in the lottery (so I wouldn't have a #1 pick, but my #2 gets more weight).
OPAnon.

Damn. Mass mail + finger crossing it is...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Cart before horse question:

Assuming no car, what's the best way to get to DC for a callback? Do those little things they call planes at the airport go to Dulles/Reagan? Bus? Train?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:24 pm

if i were in that situation i'd probably rent a car tbh. pick up at the cavalier inn and head out. if not that, some flights go CHO -> IAD, and i know of a few that did trains (although i've heard some bad things about delays between here and DC). but you could always just ask and see what the firm recommends/expects from UVA students without a car.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cart before horse question:

Assuming no car, what's the best way to get to DC for a callback? Do those little things they call planes at the airport go to Dulles/Reagan? Bus? Train?
I had a callback for a DC firm back in February (didn't get the job), but ZipCar worked wonderfully. It's about ~$80 for a day, there's one at darden, you don't get hit with extra fees for being under 25 and gas is covered. The firm reimbursed me for the zipcar rental and parking. Otherwise, you can try scheduling an afternoon callback and taking the 8am amtrak to DC (puts you in at 11:30) and returning on a greyhound bus or something. Those are your cheap options. If you don't have a car, tell the firm your options (rental car, plane, train) and they'll adjust your interview accordingly (or book plane tickets).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:31 am

Does anyone on grounds happen to know what the VLR GPA cutoff ended up being? An employer was curious to know my estimated rank, and I was trying to see if the cutoff has edged up like people had suggested. (I am trying to use the LSN calculator)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone on grounds happen to know what the VLR GPA cutoff ended up being? An employer was curious to know my estimated rank, and I was trying to see if the cutoff has edged up like people had suggested. (I am trying to use the LSN calculator)
I don't know what the cutoff ended up being, but I would imagine that the higher grades from the new curve would be largely counteracted by the smaller class size. 25 people out of 360 is ~7%, whereas 25 people out of 330 is ~7.5%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”