3 years of unemployment on resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3 years of unemployment on resume

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Hypothetically, if after 1L your GPA puts you approx in the top 5% of your class at a T14, but you have a 3 year unemployment gap on your resume, will it destroy your chances of landing a biglaw job?

Made some idiotic life choices and stuck around in a grad program for 3 years. Couldn't leave with a degree. I think it's better to leave the years of schooling off my resume than to reveal that I slogged away for that long with nothing to show for it, but I'd really like to hear what you guys might suggest. Thanks for your time.

Diamond

Re: 3 years of unemployment on resume

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hypothetically, if after 1L your GPA puts you approx in the top 5% of your class at a T14, but you have a 3 year unemployment gap on your resume, will it destroy your chances of landing a biglaw job?

Made some idiotic life choices and stuck around in a grad program for 3 years. Couldn't leave with a degree. I think it's better to leave the years of schooling off my resume than to reveal that I slogged away for that long with nothing to show for it, but I'd really like to hear what you guys might suggest. Thanks for your time.
You think wrong bro. They won't even give you a certificate or anything.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:25 pm

I assumed when students failed out of PhD's, they would still get a master.

Did you work for a professor or something in those three years?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Definitely include the schooling. It may raise some eyebrows, but not as much as long-term unemployment would (whether fair or not).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:39 pm

I assumed when students failed out of PhD's, they would still get a master.

Did you work for a professor or something in those three years?
Can't elaborate much for fear of outing, but unfortunately I couldn't leave with a degree.

I did TA a few undergrad courses in the first year, took graduate courses in the first and second year. Third year was spent focusing on research that didn't pan out. I collaborated with some professors/postdocs on a few projects, but not in any official capacity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Just say you really thought you wanted to do X, got through 3 years of grad school and realized it wasn't right for you, so you came to law school, which is right for you because Y.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 am

you will have many t14 offers

don;t make a big deal out of it

just prepare a 2-3 sentence explanation

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:15 am

No way a 3 year resume gap is better than the failed grad program on your resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 am

I had two years of a grad program with nothing to show for it. The worst part is it was a two-year program! Anyway I put it on my resume and just described it as "completed coursework in X discipline" or something like that. If it hurt me, it didn't hurt me much, because I outperformed my grades at OCI. Put it on. You are by no means the first person to have a false start in life, and a gap looks much worse, like you were backpacking in Tibet on Daddy's dime, or institutionalized, or something. (To be clear, there is nothing wrong with inpatient treatment or the people who seek it, but there is a stigma.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:57 am

Elston Gunn wrote:Just say you really thought you wanted to do X, got through 3 years of grad school and realized it wasn't right for you, so you came to law school, which is right for you because Y.
TITCR. Hell, incomplete phd is arguably even less embarrassing than a failed business venture. Neither is going to hurt you much.

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:You are by no means the first person to have a false start in life, and a gap looks much worse, like you were backpacking in Tibet on Daddy's dime, or institutionalized, or something. (To be clear, there is nothing wrong with inpatient treatment or the people who seek it, but there is a stigma.)
And what's wrong with backpacking in Tibet? That person is more interesting than the guy who worked at Footlocker after college.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:16 am

WheatThins wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You are by no means the first person to have a false start in life, and a gap looks much worse, like you were backpacking in Tibet on Daddy's dime, or institutionalized, or something. (To be clear, there is nothing wrong with inpatient treatment or the people who seek it, but there is a stigma.)
And what's wrong with backpacking in Tibet? That person is more interesting than the guy who worked at Footlocker after college.
You going to bet 100k that the Tibet guy will work a 9-9pm job in an office?

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
You going to bet 100k that the Tibet guy will work a 9-9pm job in an office?
To pay back law school loans? I sure hope so. It's not like that person hasn't demonstrated a work ethic by finishing in the top 5% of his T14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:30 pm

First, as others have said, I would put the grad program on your resume. 3 years is a long time, and you're going to be asked about that gap as soon as an interviewer sees your resume. Also, that time spent on a PhD or whatever will be interesting to most people.

Second, congrats on the great grades - they will ultimately matter much more than the resume materials. Still, firms that look for more than just class rank will want you to be able to speak to your life experiences and your resume in particular.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:34 pm

OP here, I really appreciate all your input. It's been very helpful and reassuring. (Especially the other anonymous user.) I'll be taking all of your advice and putting "took graduate coursework in..." on my resume.

I began 1L thinking that I'd at least be able to get a terminal degree, but it became apparent in the middle of the year that it wouldn't happen. Hopefully my LS grades will make up for those wasted years and OCI won't be a wash.

Thanks again, all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”