Shady Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shady

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:22 am

Boutique I'm working for is having me download cases from Westlaw. Should I avoid them?

goldeneye

Silver

Re: Shady

Post by goldeneye » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:10 am

What? Are you a summer? Using your school westlaw account?

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:10 am

If they're having you download from your school account, that's shady as hell AND it may be unsafe - I've heard at least one story (maybe totally apocryphal, who knows) of Westlaw attempting to charge a student a fee after learning that the cases were used for commercial purposes in violation of the student agreement with Westlaw (you know, that thing you clicked through upon first joining up?). Westlaw knows what you downloaded using your student account, so I wouldn't totally write this off as a possibility (though it does have that distinct ring of "I heard of a guy once..." that usually precedes all bullshit claims).

On the other hand, if the firm itself has gotten you a "trial account" with Westlaw that's free for part of the summer, that's totally cool. I remember when I was an SA the rep was upfront about saying "We tell the associates you can download cases for free for the next few weeks, so expect to be popular!" so it's clear that Westlaw was in on it. If that's your situation, I wouldn't worry.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Boutique I'm working for is having me download cases from Westlaw. Should I avoid them?
I'm just wondering how you plan to "avoid" a firm you're "working for."

Or is it the cases from Westlaw that you're attempting to avoid?

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:44 am

If the firm is having you do it on their trial account it's cool. But if their asking you to do it on your account, not only could you et charged but they are acting unethically. It may present issues for you as well with the bar. Doubt it would ever get that crazy, but you never know. Not worth the risk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:49 am

I am assuming that this is rather hard for westlaw to catch. A lot of people opt to use westlaw next because their firm will use inferior services, i.e., lexis advance.

I am really not sure how they would know this unless you admit to it.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:03 am

jarofsoup wrote:I am assuming that this is rather hard for westlaw to catch. A lot of people opt to use westlaw next because their firm will use inferior services, i.e., lexis advance.

This is good advice for a future lawyer on the issue of integrity. Yes, it's wrong, stealing IP outside of the permissible bounds of your user license, but you probably won't get caught, so it's ok.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:24 am

jarofsoup wrote:I am assuming that this is rather hard for westlaw to catch. A lot of people opt to use westlaw next because their firm will use inferior services, i.e., lexis advance.

Supposedly, Westlaw has software in place to detect search patterns that reflect commercial use, rather than student use. Don't know how true this is.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:57 am

I got an email from Westlaw during 1L that said they were giving me 40 hours of researching for the summer, and if I was doing PI I should let them know and they would give me unlimited hours.

Seems to imply that I can use it for a firm.

(I'm just using the free one they gave me at the start of the summer, though...)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:47 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:I got an email from Westlaw during 1L that said they were giving me 40 hours of researching for the summer, and if I was doing PI I should let them know and they would give me unlimited hours.

(I'm just using the free one they gave me at the start of the summer, though...)
I think the 40 hours free research is intended for your own use, and a firm isn't PI.

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:21 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:I got an email from Westlaw during 1L that said they were giving me 40 hours of researching for the summer, and if I was doing PI I should let them know and they would give me unlimited hours.

I think the 40 hours free research is intended for your own use, and a firm isn't PI.
Everybody at my school got unlimited Lexis, even if for commercial use. Is this not a thing everywhere?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:23 pm

bulinus wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Everybody at my school got unlimited Lexis, even if for commercial use. Is this not a thing everywhere?
Lexis =/= Westlaw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”