How to strike out at OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Platinum

Re: How to strike out at OCI

Post by rayiner » Wed May 28, 2014 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I majored in geology and told TX firms during 1L OCI that I was interested in oil & gas and energy when they asked. Should I not do that? I worked in an unrelated field for 3 years after graduation fwiw. I don't actually feel super strongly about any one field.
No, that's fine. If you have a background and interest in an in-demand area, and the firm you're talking to actually does substantial amounts of that work,* then its okay to pitch yourself for that area. Oil and gas isn't niche, its booming, and firms are hiring for it. Same for patent lit. But don't tell Jenner you really want to do copyright lit, just because there's one person at the firm with a copyright practice...

*) Don't rely on firm websites to ascertain that. They list every practice area they've ever done, even if they don't do a lot of work. Look at sources like Am Law, NLJ, etc, to see what firms are actually working on.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed May 28, 2014 10:23 pm

BigZuck wrote:
BigZuck wrote:How soon is too soon to start mass mailing? Is it ok if we start doing so around July 1st or is there a more appropriate time?
Bump

I read through the stop reading tea leaves thread and can't remember seeing a consensus and I figured since some of you bros know even more about large firm hiring now you could share some insight. Was thinking of starting in July. Too soon? Too late?
Yeah July is fine. Start developing a plan now for where you'll focus your OCI bids and where you'll focus mass mailing, and it's never too early to draft some cover letters.
rad lulz wrote: Saying you want to do apallet is particularly bad, even worse than saying you want to do other niche areas like tax or ERISA
And at the big NYC firms tax or ERISA goals would be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 7:57 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I majored in geology and told TX firms during 1L OCI that I was interested in oil & gas and energy when they asked. Should I not do that? I worked in an unrelated field for 3 years after graduation fwiw. I don't actually feel super strongly about any one field.
No, that's fine. If you have a background and interest in an in-demand area, and the firm you're talking to actually does substantial amounts of that work,* then its okay to pitch yourself for that area. Oil and gas isn't niche, its booming, and firms are hiring for it. Same for patent lit. But don't tell Jenner you really want to do copyright lit, just because there's one person at the firm with a copyright practice...

*) Don't rely on firm websites to ascertain that. They list every practice area they've ever done, even if they don't do a lot of work. Look at sources like Am Law, NLJ, etc, to see what firms are actually working on.
Good overall point, really poor example (especially if you are looking beyond the Chicago office).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:20 pm

1) Bid too heavily firms with smaller SA class. I wished I would have focused on firms with the biggest SA classes = more change to get something.
2) Failing to stand out. My approach was to be myself which is laid back and unassuming. I wish I would have done more to be memorable than just, a "nice guy."
3) Generic interviews. I wish I would have done better reserach and mentioned 2-3 firm specific things per interview not just "oh y'all have a great real estate department, I like real estate."
4) Went to a big in state undergrad w/ a powerhouse football team. Can't really change that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:21 pm

DELG wrote:
NYSprague wrote:Think that screeners =callbacks=job
I dunno. I think there is a CB number where it's safe to suspend massmailing, but the number probably varies by market.
Terrible advice.

Nothing is guaranteed. Hustle until you have a SA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) Bid too heavily firms with smaller SA class. I wished I would have focused on firms with the biggest SA classes = more change to get something.
2) Failing to stand out. My approach was to be myself which is laid back and unassuming. I wish I would have done more to be memorable than just, a "nice guy."
3) Generic interviews. I wish I would have done better reserach and mentioned 2-3 firm specific things per interview not just "oh y'all have a great real estate department, I like real estate."
4) Went to a big in state undergrad w/ a powerhouse football team. Can't really change that.
wut

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu May 29, 2014 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DELG wrote:
NYSprague wrote:Think that screeners =callbacks=job
I dunno. I think there is a CB number where it's safe to suspend massmailing, but the number probably varies by market.
Terrible advice.

Nothing is guaranteed. Hustle until you have a SA.
If you have 15 CBs in NYC, you're probably good. 10? Probably also fine. 7? Eh. It's been blown before.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu May 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Good overall point, really poor example (especially if you are looking beyond the Chicago office).
They have a top-ranked copyright lit practice, but there are only six associates listed in the broader media and entertainment group, which handles much more than just copyright. I would be surprised if any associate there has a primarily copyright practice, but I'm happy to be corrected. Its not like patent lit, where K&E will hire a dozen first years from PLIP to do only patent.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu May 29, 2014 9:32 pm

DELG wrote: If you have 15 CBs in NYC, you're probably good. 10? Probably also fine. 7? Eh. It's been blown before.
As someone who had 8 CBs and only got an offer off the last one, I think I'd advise people that's it better to be safe. You can always cancel interviews once you get an offer you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu May 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) Bid too heavily firms with smaller SA class. I wished I would have focused on firms with the biggest SA classes = more change to get something.
Laid back can read as low energy/disinterested or even entitled. Raise your energy level to at least law school normal,but don't overdo it. Remember other students are going to be selling themselves to the firm, so in comparison laid back looks indifferent.

Research the firm in Google news so you can talk about recent or current cases or deals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:40 pm

I went into one screener with a national firm, and I had told them in my original app that I wanted city A. Then walked into screener and was like "actually, I'm only interested in your San Francisco office"

Did not get a CB

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 pm

You show how laid back you are by being friendly, not by underselling yourself.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went into one screener with a national firm, and I had told them in my original app that I wanted city A. Then walked into screener and was like "actually, I'm only interested in your San Francisco office"

Did not get a CB
And they dinged you for your Cole Haans

Lesson learned

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah I'm of the mind that it's possible to strike out even with a lot of CBs. Even if it's a low percentage chance, why take that risk? If you're the kind of person who could strike out after 8 CBs, you're probably the kind of person who could strike out after 15 CBs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:58 pm

DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I went into one screener with a national firm, and I had told them in my original app that I wanted city A. Then walked into screener and was like "actually, I'm only interested in your San Francisco office"

Did not get a CB
And they dinged you for your Cole Haans

Lesson learned
Lol. True story. Thank god Nyc doesn't care about what shoes you wear so long as you don't use them to walk out of the office before 10

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:4) Went to a big in state undergrad w/ a powerhouse football team. Can't really change that.
wut
I've dinged someone for having gone to Alabama undergrad. 8)

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri May 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:4) Went to a big in state undergrad w/ a powerhouse football team. Can't really change that.
wut
Kill yourself

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
wut
Kill yourself
This is only acceptable if he went to an SEC school.

mw115

New

Post by mw115 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
wut
Kill yourself
You clearly don't deal with Alabama fans on a regular basis. Or maybe you are one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:15 am

I was OP.

I meant to say NOT going to a powerhouse football team school...

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was OP.

I meant to say NOT going to a powerhouse football team school...
Anti-Columbia trolling.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:07 pm

DELG wrote:You don't have to say "exclusively." If you pitch yourself harder for one certain practice area, that's the message interviewers get, even if you try to hedge with "but I am open to other things" or "I would be happy to do general lit too." I am not trying to rag on the guy who too bad advice from OCS, but bringing up a specific niche practice can be dangerous.
Would it be foolish to take this approach with real estate? Or is real estate a big enough/in-demand practice area? I'm thinking that's the practice area I'm most interested in, but would rather have any job than a job doing real estate work at a firm.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
wut
Are you jealous of all the crystal balls we have been bagging. Also lol at making massive generalizations about people over their undergrad choice.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:27 pm

M458 wrote:
DELG wrote:You don't have to say "exclusively." If you pitch yourself harder for one certain practice area, that's the message interviewers get, even if you try to hedge with "but I am open to other things" or "I would be happy to do general lit too." I am not trying to rag on the guy who too bad advice from OCS, but bringing up a specific niche practice can be dangerous.
Would it be foolish to take this approach with real estate? Or is real estate a big enough/in-demand practice area? I'm thinking that's the practice area I'm most interested in, but would rather have any job than a job doing real estate work at a firm.
Better be SURE the firm has that group, AND it's big enough to take on new people. I can think of one firm where this would fuck you and another where bringing it up would be a good call (KE Chicago).

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Reading over some threads from last year, found 4 more points:

1. Assuming that a screener went well, you had a good rapport with interviewer means you have a solid chance at a callback. People who do screeners are generally polished at interviewing, they will make most people feel good about their performance.

2. Not researching firms enough. This is your career, make a spreadsheet, binder, whatever, know the firm and your pitch to them. Know the class size and offer rate.

3. Not posting bidlists where 3Ls or alums can critique them in advance.

4. Assuming that getting a job is like getting into law schools. Your high GPA and law review don't in themselves guarantee you a job. Don't rely on stellar credentials to magically open doors. (This was posted before but it is good to be reminded.)

There was a ton of great information posted last year. Use it. Links to relevant threads are stickied (I'm not reposting them in this thread but I linked some in the Northwestern OCU thread.) Read through old threads from your schools OCI. Read to the end: prepare yourself for the abrupt switch from OCI questions to posts about dings and callbacks. OCI takes a long time to prepare for, and then suddenly it's done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”