Arrested 4 weeks before C&F interview, need advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nochance123

New

Arrested 4 weeks before C&F interview, need advice

Post by nochance123 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:07 pm

I got arrested for open container, obstruction of government administration and resisting arrest. I was leaning on the wall outside my high rise apartment building when two cops came and demanded ID for an alleged beer container on my possession. I explained that I did not have my id but that this was my building and it was upstairs. They accompanied my into the building and I talked to the doorman who explained to the police that I lived there. The police were unmoved and demanded I turn over my id right then. Since I couldn't because my ID was in my apartment several floors up I was arrested and put into the police car. At the station I was told I was arrested for the above charges. I was also roughed up in the car: cuts, bruises, broken glasses which were never recovered, cuts on my wrist from the handcuffs. I have three witnesses and video footage that shows I was not physically trying to avoid being placed in the car.

My issues:

1. My interview is scheduled in a month for my C&F. The trial is scheduled for the day after. How screwed am I? I've never been arrested before. I plan on at least pushing the interview back until this is resolved.

2. Do I have to tell my employer? It's big law.

Any advice

Pleasye

Platinum

Re: Arrested 4 weeks before C&F interview, need advice

Post by Pleasye » Sat May 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Get a lawyer. We can't give you legal advice.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat May 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Pleasye wrote:Get a lawyer. We can't give you legal advice.
Maybe get two lawyers, C&F and criminal. Don't do anything until you've talked to each. The city bar association in NYC has free referrals and they will usually talk to you for a consultation for a minimal fee.

I think you will be ok , but get good advice.

Did you just move to NYC? The cops are harsh about open container drinking, just be careful.

I'm assuming NYC because you said biglaw.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sat May 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Add a 3rd lawyer, civil rights to fucking sue them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 24, 2014 10:09 pm

NYSprague wrote:
Maybe get two lawyers, C&F and criminal. Don't do anything until you've talked to each. The city bar association in NYC has free referrals and they will usually talk to you for a consultation for a minimal fee.

Did you just move to NYC? The cops are harsh about open container drinking, just be careful.

What would you say about telling my law firm?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat May 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Referral service website:

http://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-help/le ... al-service

Spend what it takes to get this sorted out.
Suing the cops is also credited.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYSprague wrote:

What would you say about telling my law firm?
Tough one. I would tell my firm but I've been there a long time and they would support me.
I don't know your situation or firm or how close you are to them.
My general advice is if there is any way they can find out before you tell them, you should tell them first. Otherwise it's better to ask your lawyer for advice first. Then I would tell someone you trust, a partner you trust, what happened and how you are handling it, in a straightforward way.

Maybe other people have advice here...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 25, 2014 10:07 am

I would wait until the c&f interview before I told my firm. If it's confirmed after the interview that your admission might be severely delayed, then I'd tell my firm.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon May 26, 2014 10:43 am

DELG wrote:Add a 3rd lawyer, civil rights to fucking sue them
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon May 26, 2014 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would wait until the c&f interview before I told my firm. If it's confirmed after the interview that your admission might be severely delayed, then I'd tell my firm.
Yeah. This so depends on the individual and the firm. So this is credited, because he doesn't have anything factual to tell them about admission yet.

My only worry at my firm in my circumstances is that somehow the firm would find out before I told them. Even if that happened, OP could explain he was waiting for more information.

My hope is that the a judge will not take the criminal case seriously and give him a fine. But I'm not familiar with criminal law and I'm not giving legal advice.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon May 26, 2014 11:25 am

NYSprague wrote:My hope is that the a judge will not take the criminal case seriously and give him a fine. But I'm not familiar with criminal law and I'm not giving legal advice.
Without wanting to give legal advice (and I really, really am not in position to do so) my experience with petty bullshit crimes like this is that the DA would rather cut a deal than take it to trial (I can't imagine open container, on its own, ever going to trial)

arizonairish

New

Post by arizonairish » Mon May 26, 2014 1:47 pm

NYSprague wrote:

Once I was drinking a can of sprite outside of a building in NYC and a cop pretty much tackled me. Would not even apologize when he realized it was literally a can of sprite.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Mon May 26, 2014 2:27 pm

arizonairish wrote:
NYSprague wrote:

Once I was drinking a can of sprite outside of a building in NYC and a cop pretty much tackled me. Would not even apologize when he realized it was literally a can of sprite.
that's beyond fucked up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”