3L oci while a 2L SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L oci while a 2L SA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 7:02 pm

My school requires bids to be submitted by June 29 and I'm a summer until the end of summer. What's the play here? There are firms asking for 3Ls and I have been encouraged to apply everywhere until I have an offer for sure from somewhere, including my summer firm.
Oci doesn't happen until after my SA but is it frowned upon to apply?

sparty99

Gold

Re: 3L oci while a 2L SA

Post by sparty99 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:11 pm

No...But I certainly would not advertise to your current firm that you are taking part in 3L OCI. Also, 3L OCI is a joke as it mostly doesn't exist. Focus very hard this summer as getting an offer from your current firm is the number one thing that needs to happen.

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Fri May 23, 2014 7:17 pm

If you are going to participate in 3L OCI, I would tell your SA firm. If someone from your firm sees you at OCI, they may wonder why you did not tell them and it could raise some red flags. I would approach HR/recruiting and let them know at some point during the summer that you plan on participating. That way, you can spin it in a more favorable light. Just tell them you would love to accept an offer, but since their decision will not happen until after OCI, you just want to cover your bases in case they don't offer you a job.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Fri May 23, 2014 7:48 pm

buckythebadger wrote:If you are going to participate in 3L OCI, I would tell your SA firm. If someone from your firm sees you at OCI, they may wonder why you did not tell them and it could raise some red flags. I would approach HR/recruiting and let them know at some point during the summer that you plan on participating. That way, you can spin it in a more favorable light. Just tell them you would love to accept an offer, but since their decision will not happen until after OCI, you just want to cover your bases in case they don't offer you a job.
This sounds like a terrible idea.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri May 23, 2014 8:40 pm

buckythebadger wrote:If you are going to participate in 3L OCI, I would tell your SA firm. If someone from your firm sees you at OCI, they may wonder why you did not tell them and it could raise some red flags. I would approach HR/recruiting and let them know at some point during the summer that you plan on participating. That way, you can spin it in a more favorable light. Just tell them you would love to accept an offer, but since their decision will not happen until after OCI, you just want to cover your bases in case they don't offer you a job.
Do not listen to this horrible advice, OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 9:10 pm

OP here-- I know OCI is a joke. this is just about bidding and putting my resume in. While I'm confident in an offer from my firm, I just want to be on the offensive just in case. Our OCI won't put me in a situation where I would see anyone with my firm so I'm not worried about that. Just whether it's frowned upon given how early our bidding is. thanks for the advice.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Do not listen to this horrible advice, OP.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri May 23, 2014 9:23 pm

I bid in case I didn't get an offer and withdrew as soon as I did. For obvious reasons.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:27 pm

DELG wrote:I bid in case I didn't get an offer and withdrew as soon as I did. For obvious reasons.
Yup. You'll probably know if you have an offer before 3L OCI actually starts. Ironically, it's only worth doing if you have an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri May 23, 2014 9:29 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
DELG wrote:I bid in case I didn't get an offer and withdrew as soon as I did. For obvious reasons.
Yup. You'll probably know if you have an offer before 3L OCI actually starts. Ironically, it's only worth doing if you have an offer.
It would be kinder to not give offers until after OCI so you could plausibly "not know" but o well

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri May 23, 2014 9:52 pm

IMO, don't even withdraw until after OCI (unless the offer window closes before interviews). No reason NOT to take the interviews, IMO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”