when to ask for raise as law clerk? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

when to ask for raise as law clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 21, 2014 1:11 am

I've been with my current firm since I was a 1L, eventually working more hours and taking on considerable responsibilities . I've worked insane hours (weekends, holidays, all-nighters) during the school year and summers. Prior to graduation last year, I was offered a full time position with the firm. Unfortunately, I sat for the CBX this February and didn't pass. The firm has been unequivocally supportive in letting me take time off for the exam. However, my 3.5 year anniversary with the firm is coming up, and despite the increasing responsibility over the last few years, I've yet to have a raise. My pay is based on an hourly rate of $18/hr, with approved OT (I'd say I work about 200-500 hours of OT per year), w/no benefits.

So yeah. I recognize the obvious advantage the job has brought me and the promise of job stability. The firm is also allowing me to work part-time while I study for the bar again, but I can't say my workload will die down by much. The work has been interesting and substantive (the firm's practice is civil litigation), but with the expectations placed on me, I've gone through more than a few waves of burnout. I'm relied on to work the long hours to make deadlines, in addition to clerical and administrative tasks.

TL;DR: Is a raise for a law clerk/paralegal common in small to mid-sized firms? If so, when to ask and how much to ask for? I'm not planning on leaving in the immediate future, but I'd like to get a good feel for what's reasonable as I enter the bar repeater existential funk.

Nova

Platinum

Re: when to ask for raise as law clerk?

Post by Nova » Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 am

You shoulda asked for a raise a long time ago. Like 6 months in.

But you're about to get a ft attorney position when you pass the bar right? That should entail a huge pay raise right?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 21, 2014 3:08 am

I'd ask for a raise when/if you get the permanent offer/pass the bar

Right now thats the logical point

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed May 21, 2014 5:04 am

Nova wrote:You shoulda asked for a raise a long time ago. Like 6 months in.

But you're about to get a ft attorney position when you pass the bar right? That should entail a huge pay raise right?
Idk about 6 months in but definitely sooner

Now that you failed the bar you're in a more precarious position so you should probably keep your head down

What happened in July is this your second fail?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 21, 2014 7:31 am

DELG wrote:
Nova wrote:You shoulda asked for a raise a long time ago. Like 6 months in.

Idk about 6 months in but definitely sooner

Now that you failed the bar you're in a more precarious position so you should probably keep your head down

What happened in July is this your second fail?
Agree with this. I'd treat keeping you on while you study again as your "raise."

Also $18/hour plus ot doesn't sound so bad. Sounds like you're pulling close to $50k annually?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”