For 3Ls, grades more important or classes on transcript? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BrokenMouse

Silver

For 3Ls, grades more important or classes on transcript?

Post by BrokenMouse » Fri May 16, 2014 1:24 pm

lol
Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushybrain

Bronze

Re: For 3Ls, grades more important or classes on transcript?

Post by mushybrain » Fri May 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Copyright and TM really aren't hard topics, so take them if they interest you. I'd steer clear of Patent since you don't have a science degree and want easier stuff.

Taking them will look better than never taking them if you're going to go out and tell people it's what you want to practice, but soft IP is limited in size and it's not the easiest to get into (and your location will play a role here too) so I wouldn't hold your breath.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri May 16, 2014 11:37 pm

You want to push your grades up a little bit above the medium. Also I think at this point interning will benefit you much more than anything else.

BigRob

Bronze

Post by BigRob » Sun May 18, 2014 12:59 pm

jarofsoup wrote:You want to push your grades up a little bit above the medium. Also I think at this point interning will benefit you much more than anything else.
Logged in to lol.

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Mon May 19, 2014 5:30 pm

lol
Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:17 pm

I'd opine that your grades matter more than anything. No one learns how to be a lawyer from law school, you learn on the job, so having lots of copyright classes or whatever won't matter. Litigation is litigation, so you want the best grades you can get to get into the best firm you can to learn from what you hope are the best lawyers possible. Also--and just spitballing here--over specializing in law school could be a net negative. It's not like first year associate copyright litigation jobs are plentiful, and if one doesn't materialize, you don't want to turn off an interviewer by having to answer the question - "So, I see you took a lot of copyright classes? Are you going to lateral out of here in two years because you don't want to do general commercial litigation?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”