cover letter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
skittles

New

cover letter

Post by skittles » Thu May 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Sorry about this question - as a Canadian at a Canadian law school, I'm finding it difficult to figure out the most basic aspects of applying to large firms in New York.

The career office at my law school has told me not to submit a cover letter along with my resume when applying to New York firms. Is this correct? In Toronto, that's unheard of so i'm not sure what to think.

gdane

Diamond

Re: cover letter

Post by gdane » Thu May 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Nah. Definitely send in your cover letter and resume to firms that you're interested in. However, maybe they're telling you not to send that stuff in not because it isn't required, but because you're a Canadian law student applying to american firms. That is to say, they're probably telling you not to even try because american firms won't want a Canadian law student.

skittles

New

Post by skittles » Thu May 15, 2014 10:16 pm

A handful of New York firms do come to my school for OCIs, so it's a serious question.

Law Student 2848

New

Post by Law Student 2848 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:26 pm

I would definitely send a cover letter along with your resume. Sounds like you CSO doesn't know what they are talking about eh

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”