Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ClerkAdvisor

Bronze
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Thu May 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Most bonuses get destroyed in taxes (the tax rate is huge on bonus income). I'm considering changing firms and one thing I'm trying to do is get more in salary and less by way of a bonus.


Just the withholding is different. It's all teh same come April 15th


^this

User avatar
Lexaholik

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby Lexaholik » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:34 am

Bump for any questions.

User avatar
smaug_

Gold
Posts: 2194
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby smaug_ » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:51 am

Can you comment on p side work now that a couple of weeks have passed? Still too early to talk about what it is like?

User avatar
Lexaholik

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby Lexaholik » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:03 pm

smaug wrote:Can you comment on p side work now that a couple of weeks have passed? Still too early to talk about what it is like?


I'll take a crack at it. A few first impressions:

- Less operational support. I have no secretary so I have to handle all administrative/clerical tasks myself. This is similar to how life was as a clerk (my judge hired an extra clerk instead of having a judicial assistant) but starkly different from my biglaw job, where I'd delegate tons of tasks to my secretary.

- Flat structure. In biglaw, I never had any interaction with the partners who litigated the case. Instead everything I did was funneled through the hierarchy before it reached the partner. I'm not sure if the partners even recognized me. Here, all of my interaction is with the partners-in fact, there are more partners than associates in my office.

- Less waste. In biglaw I had about a week of orientation, and then a week or two of messing around in the office as I waited to be staffed on a matter. Here, they put me immediately to work on my first day-and it wasn't BS work.

- More responsibility. It's not out of goodness of their hearts, but P lawyers run lean operations and squeeze the most out of their employees. I was immediately asked to interview witnesses and develop case strategy. Nobody ever asked me to do that in biglaw.

I'll probably have more thoughts as time goes on.

bdubs

Gold
Posts: 3727
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby bdubs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Are you litigating similar cases on the plaintiffs side to those that you handled as a defense lawyer?

Any conflicts issues with your former firm or judge?

User avatar
Lexaholik

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby Lexaholik » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:23 pm

bdubs wrote:Are you litigating similar cases on the plaintiffs side to those that you handled as a defense lawyer?

Any conflicts issues with your former firm or judge?


No conflicts at all with either.

The cases are not quite the same. My cases now are largely consumer class actions-I never defended those types of cases in biglaw.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:20 pm

zombie associate wrote:
bdubs wrote:Are you litigating similar cases on the plaintiffs side to those that you handled as a defense lawyer?

Any conflicts issues with your former firm or judge?


No conflicts at all with either.

The cases are not quite the same. My cases now are largely consumer class actions-I never defended those types of cases in biglaw.

How's the lifestyle on plaintiffs side compare so far? Sounds like you will still be very busy.

User avatar
Lexaholik

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby Lexaholik » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:47 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
zombie associate wrote:
bdubs wrote:Are you litigating similar cases on the plaintiffs side to those that you handled as a defense lawyer?

Any conflicts issues with your former firm or judge?


No conflicts at all with either.

The cases are not quite the same. My cases now are largely consumer class actions-I never defended those types of cases in biglaw.

How's the lifestyle on plaintiffs side compare so far? Sounds like you will still be very busy.


As any current or former biglaw associate will tell you, it's not the number of hours that's difficult about practicing, it's the quality of hours. I noticed that at my new job there's a lot less demoralizing work (e.g., last minute fire drills to produce work product that is never even looked at by the partner) and lots of autonomy. (The amount of nitpicking and micromanaging at my V5 was extraordinary.) Not sure if these differences are due to being on the plaintiff's side, the culture of my firm, the lack of leverage, my boss's lifestyle, or something else entirely.

User avatar
kevgogators

Bronze
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby kevgogators » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Where'd you go to law school, if you don't mind me asking?

How'd you land the V5 position? Via OCI?

User avatar
Lexaholik

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Former V5 associate, former federal clerk, taking questions

Postby Lexaholik » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:58 pm

kevgogators wrote:Where'd you go to law school, if you don't mind me asking?

How'd you land the V5 position? Via OCI?


I went to a t14 and landed a summer associate position at the V5.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.